sunnyflunk wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:07 am

What's this say? I have a feeling you may have an older intel chip

Code: Select all

linux-driver-management status && inxi -G
Hi there, i have intel hd4600+ geforce gt740m on Toshiba L50-A

subz3r0  ~   linux-driver-management status && inxi -G  18:13:12
NVIDIA Optimus
├ PCI:00:02.0 : Haswell Integrated Graphics Controller (Primary)
├ Vendor ID : Intel
├ Kernel driver : i915
├ VGA Boot : yes
└ X.Org PCI ID : PCI:0:2:0
┟ Secondary GPU
├ PCI:01:00.0 : Device 1292 (Secondary)
├ Vendor ID : NVIDIA
├ Kernel driver : nouveau
├ VGA Boot : no
└ X.Org PCI ID : PCI:1:0:0
Graphics: Card-1: Intel Haswell Integrated Graphics Controller
Card-2: NVIDIA Device 1292
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 driver: intel
Resolution: 1366x768@60.00hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.1
So this is after uninstalling the nvidia driver? Cause it's not using it, so may not be installed correctly
No, i took this info now with the intel installed only, when i had the nvidia i had tearing , if you want i install nvidia again anda take info for you. This is problems that xorg 1.19 don´t have, i tested in other distro with xorg 1.19 and don´t have problem.

Best Regards,

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Re: Optimus Support Is Now Here

Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:58 pm

Yeah, definitely needs the update now (I believe) the issues with it are worked out.

SubZ3r0

Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:35 am

sunnyflunk wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:58 pm
Yeah, definitely needs the update now (I believe) the issues with it are worked out.
hi, what update ? xorg ? there is a date already for xorg 1.19?

best regards

kyrios

Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:21 pm

If an upgrade of X.Org is planned it will anyway be after the next snapshot (iso).

Valhallen282

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:09 am

I've been trying to get this working on a Dell Vostro 3443.

NVIDIA Optimus
 ├ PCI:00:02.0   : Device 0a16 (Primary)
 ├ Vendor ID     : Intel
 ├ VGA Boot      : yes
 └ X.Org PCI ID  : PCI:0:2:0
 ┟ Secondary GPU
 ├ PCI:08:00.0   : Device 1140 (Secondary)
 ├ Vendor ID     : NVIDIA
 ├ Kernel driver : nvidia
 ├ VGA Boot      : no
 └ X.Org PCI ID  : PCI:8:0:0
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Device 0a16
           Card-2: NVIDIA Device 1140
           Display Server: X.org 1.18.4 drivers: modesetting,nvidia
           tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root

After much hunting from the CLi (because installing the driver borked boot for me - )
It seems that Nvidia Prime is not included in the packages or maybe i didn't see it. Eopkg does not reference NVIDIA-PRIME at all.

And i seem to have found why it's an issue as well. I was running EOS/Fedora before a fresh install of Solid. Both had 340 package selected and were running on ONLY the DGpu (820M). And would switch to using it the moment the Nvidia driver was installed. Remove the driver and it goes back to the Linux default driver for Intel.

Now how do i know this - remove the Nvidia Prime package on any of those installs and hey presto no more login. back to the console only. Now since for whatever reason with my machine it seems to route automagically back to the Nvidia GPU every time the driver is installed I'm assuming that could be a problem. How can i help?

EDIT - i attempted to run the nvidia installer it failed due to the still active nouveau driver. Following which i removed the nvidia-glx-driver reboot and reinstalled nvidia-glx-driver and nvidia-glx-driver-32bit strangely this time it booted right into lightdm. though nvidia control panel says that Display Screens are 0. but everything seems to function

Aryvandaar

Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:02 pm

Thanks ikey. :)

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:29 am

Valhallen282 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:09 am
I've been trying to get this working on a Dell Vostro 3443.

NVIDIA Optimus
 ├ PCI:00:02.0   : Device 0a16 (Primary)
 ├ Vendor ID     : Intel
 ├ VGA Boot      : yes
 └ X.Org PCI ID  : PCI:0:2:0
 ┟ Secondary GPU
 ├ PCI:08:00.0   : Device 1140 (Secondary)
 ├ Vendor ID     : NVIDIA
 ├ Kernel driver : nvidia
 ├ VGA Boot      : no
 └ X.Org PCI ID  : PCI:8:0:0
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Device 0a16
           Card-2: NVIDIA Device 1140
           Display Server: X.org 1.18.4 drivers: modesetting,nvidia
           tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root

After much hunting from the CLi (because installing the driver borked boot for me - )
It seems that Nvidia Prime is not included in the packages or maybe i didn't see it. Eopkg does not reference NVIDIA-PRIME at all.

And i seem to have found why it's an issue as well. I was running EOS/Fedora before a fresh install of Solid. Both had 340 package selected and were running on ONLY the DGpu (820M). And would switch to using it the moment the Nvidia driver was installed. Remove the driver and it goes back to the Linux default driver for Intel.

Now how do i know this - remove the Nvidia Prime package on any of those installs and hey presto no more login. back to the console only. Now since for whatever reason with my machine it seems to route automagically back to the Nvidia GPU every time the driver is installed I'm assuming that could be a problem. How can i help?

EDIT - i attempted to run the nvidia installer it failed due to the still active nouveau driver. Following which i removed the nvidia-glx-driver reboot and reinstalled nvidia-glx-driver and nvidia-glx-driver-32bit strangely this time it booted right into lightdm. though nvidia control panel says that Display Screens are 0. but everything seems to function
I don't seem to be quite following this. When you install the nvidia drivers on Solus, it will use dGPU only (this is the current state of Linux Driver Management. There's no need to run anything else other than installing (to enable dGPU only) or uninstalling (to enable the intel driver) the nvidia-glx-driver relevant to your card. In fact, running other settings configuration things are more likely to cause issues. Out of repo installer is not supported

Valhallen282

Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:14 am

hello!
Apologies for the delay in replying to you. I was busy with work and some testing.
So on my machine directly installing the driver via do-flicky causes it to crash.
installing via

sudo eopkg it nvidia-glx-driver && nvidia-glx-driver-32bit 
also makes it crash down to tty. HOWEVER, and this took some frustration - attempting to install the nvidia package disables the nouveau driver first and then crashes out.
Following this running an eopkg remove of all nvidia drivers followed by the same command above allows for a clean and fully functional install of Nvidia.
Why all the convoluted crap? Because disabling the Nouveau driver is important for a correct install of the Nvidia driver.
You have actually said the same thing -> viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5681

Now as for prime - you can read the documentation here-> https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topi ... onization/

it offers offload control. mux control and of course major power savings depending on hardware!

Side-Note - I'm not thankless. I'm grateful. but would like to help.

ikey
Project Founder

Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:08 pm

Eh our nvidia packages automatically disable nouveau from loading at boot for you. The most important thing is to make sure
you're *fully* updated before attempting driver installation, so that you actually get LDM integrated

Valhallen282

Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:56 am

ikey wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:08 pm
Eh our nvidia packages automatically disable nouveau from loading at boot for you. The most important thing is to make sure
you're *fully* updated before attempting driver installation, so that you actually get LDM integrated
i do not know why you would think that i did not update (considering without the update the package never would see the nvidia adapter correctly - which is the case of my AMD APU machine)

I've been trying your OS for the longest time. And was only waiting for Optimus support to come in so i could recommend it to my friends and other IT guys who work on mixed OS infrastructure. When it didn't work is when i thought it was important to point this out and offered to help. I would NOT report here without testing.

So, I'll say it AGAIN. Updating either normally via the hardware driver update page or manually via terminal DOES NOT work on my hardware configuration. I am reporting back after THREE fresh installs each time from a clean EFI install of the last snapshot "Shannon". Wiping the drive; installing followed by "eopkg up" via terminal and a LAN cable; ensuring that it had all the latest packages and updates and then trying it install the driver via gui which failed (as expected) and then via terminal. Third time was the same process except this time a direct terminal driver update that failed as well. From experience i can say that not all devices react the same way. there is something about this machine's implementation that makes it lose it's shit. I'm asking you to just look into it. Pretty please. thank you.

Return to “Announcements”