ikey
Project Founder

Recent spam

Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:58 pm

Hi all,

I've been shopping around for an alternative to phpbb, but the truth is none of the other (viable) boards support import from phpbb 3.2, so we're sort of stuck with it for now. I'm also really, really not keen on Discourse and I imagine others feel the same.

I ask that you remain vigilant for spam, report it, and it'll be nuked. I've tweaked some settings and buggered around with some extensions so hopefully
we'll see a decrease now.

What we need going forward, is willing and able moderators to help clean things up and keep them clean. Let me know if you're interested. Thanks, and sorry
for the down time :(

bakano

Re: Recent spam

Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:19 am

I am always down to help out the Solus Project! Let me know how/if I can help moderate or other duties; I'll keep an eye out for spam!

-JMV :ugeek:

GumbyDamnIt!

Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:41 am

Discourse if fine for chatting, but probably not a good fit for our purposes.

Don't sweat the occasional spam attack; there are no shortage of motivated miscreants and malcontents out there. Only, please don't introduce a Captcha challenge. I couldn't pass those damn things, if my life depended on it! They just piss me off! :evil:

I'm happy to help patrol the site, if you ever need an extra hand.

ikey
Project Founder

Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:09 am

GumbyDamnIt! wrote:Don't sweat the occasional spam attack
If it was occasional - I wouldn't. The fact is it's a daily occurrence. I've already banned 2 accounts today and the forums only
went back up last night (now keep in mind that's with "stopforumspam" extension too, *and* reCAPTCHA.)

GumbyDamnIt!

Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:33 pm

Personally, I don't get the point of spam. I am not going to support you, or your product, when you constantly go out of your way to annoy the hell out of me (same goes for conventional advertising), but I suppose that it must work, or they wouldn't do it.

Then again, people fall for the, "Help me get my money out of Nigeria" scams every day, so I suppose that Darwin was wrong, after all. :shock:

hazelnut

Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:31 pm

Gumby,

I can't say I understand why people spam as much as they do and I don't agree with it. But I do see some commonalities in some of the forum spam I've had to deal with in the past. From a "reason" perspective:

Link spam (sticking links to other sites) is often not about getting you to click on it but getting search engines to see the link and count it as a way of increasing the ranking on the search engines.

Some people actually think you might be interested because it is something they think is related (rare, but does happen). I call this accidental spam.

Some people are paid by the post to promote things. It's not about quality it's about quantity. These can be pretty common where the goal is advertising revenue (pay per click) and not about selling the actual product. The advertising companies sometimes call this click-fraud.

And, ironically, the click-fraud may work even if the spam gets taken down. If the moderator isn't sure whether the link is actually related to the forum thread or really spam, he/she might have to click it to see where it goes and that is the payoff they want.

Welcome to the war.

EbonJaeger

Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:34 pm

Spam sucks, but I really don't know how moving to a new forum software would solve anything (hint: it wouldn't). The only things that can be done are implementing basic anti-spam features (reCaptcha, etc), and having a good moderation team to deal with the ones that get through.

GumbyDamnIt!

Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:23 pm

hazelnut wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:31 pm
Gumby,

Welcome to the war.
Thanks for the insights!

ikey
Project Founder

Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:05 am

EbonJaeger wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:34 pm
Spam sucks, but I really don't know how moving to a new forum software would solve anything (hint: it wouldn't).
Actually, it would. Look at the discourse FAQ and features. They're actually acutely aware of the spam issues,
whereas the phpbb response is very much "Well spam isn't a security issue thus isn't our issue". Unfortunately,
even though we have reCAPTCHA, the old phpbb safe guards have been totally crippled. The profile questions
are now pointless as the validation system will give you the answer anyway. The upstream support forums
are filled with affiliate links from their own moderators, so their views on how a forum should run, and ours,
are significantly different.

Craig-toyoracer

Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:16 am

I will be here when you need help. Solus is my OS and I want to keep it around for a while. :)

Spam is just rude and i think mostly done because they can hide behind their keyboard and ... Immature at best.

After spending a little time at Discourse and going through their customers forums. Well not impressed, feel and look cold, boring, no life or community spirit. Simply not the welcoming presence an OS forum should portray. Better to stay here and have many mods with Big brooms :D

Return to “Announcements”