zisean

How to upgrade previous Solus to Solus 3

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:59 pm

May I know how to upgrade to Solus 3 from previous Solus, or I need to perform a clean wipe and manually backup my file??

kyrios

Re: How to upgrade previous Solus to Solus 3

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:22 pm

zisean wrote:
May I know how to upgrade to Solus 3 from previous Solus, or I need to perform a clean wipe and manually backup my file??
Solus is a rolling release meaning it receives continuously updates.

Solus 3 is the name of the new ISO some defaults have been changed for example:
  • New branding material, default theme, icons, wallpaper
  • The default display manager has been changed from lightdm-gtk-greeter to slick-greeter
  • The default kernel is not the "lts" (long term support) anymore but the current (latest stable branch)

All this can be installed from the repository if you prefer the new defaults, but it is not mandatory

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:51 am

kyrios wrote:
zisean wrote:
Solus is a rolling release meaning it receives continuously updates.

Solus 3 is the name of the new ISO some defaults have been changed for example:
  • The default display manager has been changed from lightdm-gtk-greeter to slick-greeter
  • The default kernel is not the "lts" (long term support) anymore but the current (latest stable branch)

All this can be installed from the repository if you prefer the new defaults, but it is not mandatory
Made a couple of slight edits to make it clearer (without duplicating it). Thanks for collating them

wongs

Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:22 am

sunnyflunk wrote:
kyrios wrote:

some defaults have been changed for example:
Made a couple of slight edits to make it clearer (without duplicating it). Thanks for collating them
Thanks for the posts above as I had no idea the default greeter had changed in Solus 3.

How do I configure slick-greeter's appearance (e.g. theme, background)? I assume I have to edit a file since I don't think it has the GUI tool that lightdm-gtk-greeter has, but where is this file found?

I don't really want to install the solus3 branding packages to change the appearance of everything, but I did check some youtube videos to see what the new default look for solus 3's slick-greeter was.

I will probably keep to Adapta as the theme for slick-greeter but have a different background from 'Crag'.

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:16 am

wongs wrote:
sunnyflunk wrote:
kyrios wrote:

some defaults have been changed for example:
Thanks for the posts above as I had no idea the default greeter had changed in Solus 3.

How do I configure slick-greeter's appearance (e.g. theme, background)? I assume I have to edit a file since I don't think it has the GUI tool that lightdm-gtk-greeter has, but where is this file found?

I don't really want to install the solus3 branding packages to change the appearance of everything, but I did check some youtube videos to see what the new default look for solus 3's slick-greeter was.

I will probably keep to Adapta as the theme for slick-greeter but have a different background from 'Crag'.
Defaults are what you get when you don't have a configuration specified. So unless you create a new user or nuke your config files, nothing changes without you changing it. There's no reason to break an existing install and they have been options you could install and use for a long time.

wongs

Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:59 am

sunnyflunk wrote:
wongs wrote:

Defaults are what you get when you don't have a configuration specified. So unless you create a new user or nuke your config files, nothing changes without you changing it. There's no reason to break an existing install and they have been options you could install and use for a long time.
Probably I wasn't clear in my earlier post. Apologies. I've now underlined the key parts of it.

As can be seen, I don't want to break an existing install nor install the new branding/default configs to override what I already have.

I intend to install slick-greeter and I just want to know where the slick-greeter's configuration file is so I can edit it.

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:12 am

wongs wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:59 am
sunnyflunk wrote:
wongs wrote:

Probably I wasn't clear in my earlier post. Apologies. I've now underlined the key parts of it.

As can be seen, I don't want to break an existing install nor install the new branding/default configs to override what I already have.

I intend to install slick-greeter and I just want to know where the slick-greeter's configuration file is so I can edit it.

Code: Select all

eopkg info -F slick-greeter
/usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/60-slick-greeter.conf

Return to “Installation”