Extarys

Too early stage for me ? - List of issues

Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:39 pm

I don't mean to be rude, I jsut feel like the distro is a bit too early stage for my taste and usage. Most of the things I do slows me down.

Also, there is a category on the forum to report issue with solus, issues with budgie, etc but when you do sometimes someone tells you to report them on dev.solus-project.com, it get confusing.

- No roadmap, no answer when asking for a roadmap (the question is totally ignored)
- Cannot move opened window in the task bar
- Cannot open a terminal window from task bar if it's already opened
- Cannot easily change/edit/copy folder location in File (have to click on 3 dot then Enter location, time consuming)
- Sometimes I cannot open my USB flash drive in a new tab I have to open a new File (from start menu) [Intermitent bug]
- If I have a window taking 80% of my screen on the left I cannot "snap" another window on the right, it just do nothing
- Cannot pin firefox dev edition
- Sometimes the software center close by itself
- When the computer wakes up, the screen open for 3-5 seconds then turns off again - no time to put the coffee on the table
- Most of the time only one screen turns on (out of two) when the computer wakes up from suspend

- Have to compile diehard, dieharder, rethink and most other lib natively compatible with rpm, deb, etc (should be that way obviously since Solus use something different, but since I have to deal with all sort of stuff already I just cannot waste more time)

I love how Solus is fast and how budgie looks, but the work behind the scene is confusing, there is no clear structure on how newbies should work around that :( I feel like I'm on my own a bit or left in the dark. :/

ycrawler

Re: Too early stage for me ? - List of issues

Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:47 pm

- Cannot easily change/edit/copy folder location in File (have to click on 3 dot then Enter location, time consuming)
try ctrl+L

kyrios

Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:55 pm

Extarys wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:39 pm
I don't mean to be rude, I jsut feel like the distro is a bit too early stage for my taste and usage. Most of the things I do slows me down.

Also, there is a category on the forum to report issue with solus, issues with budgie, etc but when you do sometimes someone tells you to report them on dev.solus-project.com, it get confusing.

- No roadmap, no answer when asking for a roadmap (the question is totally ignored)
- Cannot move opened window in the task bar
- Cannot open a terminal window from task bar if it's already opened
- Sometimes I cannot open my USB flash drive in a new tab I have to open a new File (from start menu) [Intermitent bug]
- If I have a window taking 80% of my screen on the left I cannot "snap" another window on the right, it just do nothing
- Cannot pin firefox dev edition
- Sometimes the software center close by itself
- When the computer wakes up, the screen open for 3-5 seconds then turns off again - no time to put the coffee on the table
- Most of the time only one screen turns on (out of two) when the computer wakes up from suspend

- Have to compile diehard, dieharder, rethink and most other lib natively compatible with rpm, deb, etc (should be that way obviously since Solus use something different, but since I have to deal with all sort of stuff already I just cannot waste more time)

I love how Solus is fast and how budgie looks, but the work behind the scene is confusing, there is no clear structure on how newbies should work around that :( I feel like I'm on my own a bit or left in the dark. :/
Hello Extarys,

Thanks for your feedback.

The forum is a discussion area where people can talk, ask question, request some help, share things, etc... Issues must be logged on their respective bug trackers (Solus issues on Solus bug tracker, Budgie issues on Budgie bug tracker, MATE issues on MATE bug tracker, GNOME issues on GNOME bug tracker and so on...). This might look confusing but if you don't know where a bug should be addressed, just ask and people will let you know.

There is no strict roadmap, but there is a todo list and regular feedback is published with the priorities, on-going work, and achievements on the blog like here for example. If you want more details on the daily work, just follow Solus on the social medias.

Now regarding the different points you list, some are specific to a desktop environment, there could be some alternatives for other, etc... For example I know there is a setting in GNOME to allow opening a new instance of an application that is already open from the task bar. I don't think there is such a parameter in Budgie or MATE (this is where the bug tracker can be used to introduce a feature request), but some docks allow it as a workaround.

Regarding the .deb and the .rpm stuffs, you cannot install .rpm packages on debian, just like you cannot install .deb files on redhat, the same apply with all distributions, including Solus. This is why there are attempts to make some kind of "universal packages" like Snaps, Flatpaks or AppImages (all are working on Solus). Snaps will be soon integrated to the Software Center to replace the 3rd party repository.

I don't know many distributions that have such easily accessible team. So don't feel lost, just ask, nobody here bites ! :D

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:28 pm

ycrawler wrote:
try ctrl+L
There are also other desktop choices if budgie is not the right one for you

Extarys

Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:56 am

I suppose I'll get the feeling of spamming if I open a new thread every time I get a question or an issue.

Can you clarify the limit between what Solus is versus what Budgie is? Like what a solus bug is vs what a budgie bug is? (I know budgie is the DE though but...)
ycrawler wrote:
try ctrl+L
I guess the fact that Windows, Cinnamon and Gnome doesn't require me to do so should tell me that the Enter location is a bit far, or we should think of a new way of letting users edit the location, like double-clicking on the location perhaps.

kyrios wrote:
[...]So don't feel lost, just ask, nobody here bites ! :D
sunnyflunk wrote:
Dang, sunnyflunk, you are a funny member thanks for the helpful post!

As I said, I didn't write this to be mean it was meant to 1. try to resolve a lot of small issues I have and 2. gather inputs I felt I need to be addressed. (for me)

Thanks for both trackers link. Solus is still "only" at version 3 so of course it is not perfect (compared to ubuntu 17, mint 18, etc) and I know Budgie is releasing, soon I hope, a rewrite.

I know there is a lot of backstage things happening and I wouldn't be able to do the things devs does here so I wouldn't bash. I'm just trying to make this distro works for me because I love it even though it's not perfect.

the goal of a community is to be inclusive and to help each other btw :mrgreen:

As a side note, I get excited every time I get an update notification form the software center.

Thanks kyrios for taking the time for me. ;)

kyrios

Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:38 am

Extarys wrote:
I suppose I'll get the feeling of spamming if I open a new thread every time I get a question or an issue.

Can you clarify the limit between what Solus is versus what Budgie is? Like what a solus bug is vs what a budgie bug is? (I know budgie is the DE though but...)
ycrawler wrote:
try ctrl+L
I guess the fact that Windows, Cinnamon and Gnome doesn't require me to do so should tell me that the Enter location is a bit far, or we should think of a new way of letting users edit the location, like double-clicking on the location perhaps.

kyrios wrote:
[...]So don't feel lost, just ask, nobody here bites ! :D
sunnyflunk wrote:
Dang, sunnyflunk, you are a funny member thanks for the helpful post!

As I said, I didn't write this to be mean it was meant to 1. try to resolve a lot of small issues I have and 2. gather inputs I felt I need to be addressed. (for me)

Thanks for both trackers link. Solus is still "only" at version 3 so of course it is not perfect (compared to ubuntu 17, mint 18, etc) and I know Budgie is releasing, soon I hope, a rewrite.

I know there is a lot of backstage things happening and I wouldn't be able to do the things devs does here so I wouldn't bash. I'm just trying to make this distro works for me because I love it even though it's not perfect.

the goal of a community is to be inclusive and to help each other btw :mrgreen:

As a side note, I get excited every time I get an update notification form the software center.

Thanks kyrios for taking the time for me. ;)
If you have too many questions and you don't want to flood the forum, just ask them by waves... the most important first, then later some more and so on. Do not hesitate to look at the help center, search if other people didn't ask already the same question either on the forum or using a search engine.
From my experience, it is usually not good to ask too many questions in a single post because the person who reply might not have all the answers and the following people will see it's already answered and might not see some questions are unanswered, etc...

To be clear, Solus is a linux distribution just like Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, ArchLinux, elementary, openSUSE, etc.
Budgie is a Desktop environment just like Cinnamon, GNOME, MATE, XFCE, KDE, Unity, etc...

I think this comparison will make things easy to understand:
The people who lead the development of the Linux Mint distribution (bug tracker), are also the same who lead the development of the Cinnamon desktop environment (bug tracker) and they are also very involved in the MATE desktop environment (bug tracker).
This is very similar to Solus and Budgie, but Solus and Budgie are 2 different things like Linux Mint and Cinnamon or MATE. You have a Linux Mint MATE flavor, a Solus Mate flavor, an Ubuntu MATE flavor, You have Linux Mint Cinnamon just like a ArchLinux Cinnamon, a Solus Budgie but also a Ubuntu Budgie, etc...

Ubuntu Budgie should be able to contribute and report issue on Budgie but they don't care about Solus, just like Solus should be able to contribute to MATE without having to worry about Linux Mint, etc...

It's the same everywhere. There are Budgie contributors that are not involved at all in Solus, there are people who contribute to MATE but who don't use Solus or Linux Mint, etc...

It's the same everywhere and this is the beauty of open source.

Evertson

Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:27 pm

It's not that I want to make everything simple and neither that I want to make everything that seems to be difficult silly but I have allways loved the KISS principle. Keep It Short and Simple. If Solus is not what you want : oke. Keep on searching for a better distro. There are plenty of them. Period.
Excuses for any grammer mistakes. English is not my mothertongue.
Anyway. Solus is great. Love the Solus guys and all their fantastic work.

Have a nike weekend and remember : KISS.

Greetings from the Netherlands,

Evertson

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:52 pm

Extarys wrote:
ycrawler wrote:
try ctrl+L
As budgie uses gnome apps, I would imagine the file manager operates in a similar way. Also need to be careful with comparing an old gnome version, as most people would posit that the file manager has gotten worse over time (budgie ships with the same version as gnome). In fact I'm not sure the current nautilus can't do 'enter location' at all (It was patched back in).

Of all the things that are known in regards to budgie 11 (which is almost nothing mind you), the most likely is that it won't ship with the gnome file manager.

Return to “General Chit-Chat”