echis

Re: Not detecting native resolution options

Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:29 pm

I actually added nomodeset to clr-boot-manager myself. I was having some issues getting Solus to boot at all, and after searching the forums for threads describing similar issues I decided to give that a go. And it worked. If nomodeset in turn causes some of these issues that would be unfortunate, but not entirely surprising given my luck with Solus thus far. :P
I am determined to make this work, so I'm willing to give just about anything a shot. I will try removing nomodeset tomorrow, as I've got some other matters that need attending right now.

I thoroughly appreciate you taking the time to help me out here. :) I am sure I will get this running correctly eventually.

KerfufflyKitty

Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:13 pm

echis wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:29 pm
I actually added nomodeset to clr-boot-manager myself. I was having some issues getting Solus to boot at all, and after searching the forums for threads describing similar issues I decided to give that a go. And it worked. If nomodeset in turn causes some of these issues that would be unfortunate, but not entirely surprising given my luck with Solus thus far. :P
I am determined to make this work, so I'm willing to give just about anything a shot. I will try removing nomodeset tomorrow, as I've got some other matters that need attending right now.

I thoroughly appreciate you taking the time to help me out here. :) I am sure I will get this running correctly eventually.

Oh no haha! :lol: I'm sure we'll figure this out somehow, it can really be super frustrating when graphics card drivers are not playing nicely... :| I'm definitely no expert so maybe the devs can figure out what's going on here better than I could too!

echis

Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:32 pm

Okay, breakthrough. Removing nomodeset seems to fix it - but I don't know how to remove it permanently. I just removed it temporarily by pressing e during boot, locating the argument at the bottom of the screen and removing it.

So if you know how I can remove it permanently, I am hopeful that my problems are resolved.

This is how I added it, as detailed in this article.

Code: Select all

echo 'nomodeset' | sudo tee /etc/kernel/cmdline

sudo clr-boot-manager update

Edit:
Do I just remove the cmdline file? It only contains nomodeset, so that would make sense.

kyrios

Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:57 pm

echis wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:32 pm
Okay, breakthrough. Removing nomodeset seems to fix it - but I don't know how to remove it permanently. I just removed it temporarily by pressing e during boot, locating the argument at the bottom of the screen and removing it.

So if you know how I can remove it permanently, I am hopeful that my problems are resolved.

This is how I added it, as detailed in this article.

echo 'nomodeset' | sudo tee /etc/kernel/cmdline

Edit:
Do I just remove the cmdline file? It only contains nomodeset, so that would make sense.

sudo rm /etc/kernel/cmdline
Of course if you added other kernel parameters, instead of deleting cmdline, you can edit it to remove whatever you want then update clr-boot-manager

echis

Re: [SOLVED] Not detecting native resolution options

Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:04 pm

Excellent. Thanks to everyone who helped. :)

Return to “Hardware”