Akelun

Need help for a particular installation in Dual Boot

Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:44 pm

Most recent issue:
Well... No, I did not... ^^'

However... I just tried and I got another problem.

I tryed to make the USB live again, from the .iso of Solus 3 mate and while thinking about switching to "DD image" as you suggested.
  • - With the 1st USB key (of 64 Go, in 3.0), when I enter in the "boot menu", it is finally suggested to launch Solus 3 Mate. So I choose that, then, a black screen appears, text is scrolling. Everything seems to go fine, and then, I find 2 Solus desktop, side by side, cloned, with no mouse cursor. Worried about it, I have to admit, I didn't try to install Solus. Plus, I remembered I made the USB live with Rufus on a computer with 2 screens, so, I thought that it could be the origin of the problem. So...
  • - ... I took another USB key (of 8 Go, in 2.0), copy-pasted the iso of Solus and Rufus in it, and then, made again everything directly on my new laptop with a single screen, on windows 10. Then I restarted the computer, enter the boot menu, launch Solus 3 and... it only got worse. I still got the double screen, I think from the format I got of my screen, but it was all... confused. I couldn't understand anything which was happening on the screen. It was all scrambled. So, I had to shut down my computer.
In a word, I went further with this "DD image" option, but I'm still unable to install Solus on my laptop because of the problem I just explained.

Can someone help me again, please?
And at worst, is my problem the kind of issue I can fix by buying a DVD reader which can be plugged in USB port and by making a classic and good DVD iso? Making a USB live is really a pain it seems! ><

PS: Plus, I noticed that, by using this "DD image" option, all my USB keys got a decrease of capacity and I was unable to format them on my Windows 10. I hope that I'll find a way to get my keys back once I managed to install Solus, because a USB key of 64 Go is not very cheap... =/

[...]

I know now that the problem is not from my USB key, but from my laptop. Because I tryed to launch the key on my desktop computer, and the iso was launched perfectly. So... I don't know, maybe there is another problem in my boot menu options?

I can post here a video showing the problem I meet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plb3DQqtBTw&app=desktop

And there, I take a photo of the options I have on my boot menu: https://sta.sh/22a46pje561q?edit=1

If you understand and can tell me what is wrong and what I should change, that'll be really super. Because I really feel like I'm stuck there. =/

Thank's in advance for any help.
Previous issue:
My laptop is repaired and back.

So, since everything seems to go well, I decided to finally try to follow your advices to try to install Solus in my 2nd SSD (the 1st one being with Windows 10).

So, I've created my USB live using the programm Rufus (and set it to UEFI GPT, since my computer is in UEFI GPT) and the .iso of Solus 3. Then, I rebooted my laptop and entered to the boot menu (after I checked if my "Secure boot" is disabled) and chose to launch the USB.

And there goes my first problem. Nothing's happening. I have a black screen for 3 to 5 seconds, and then, I'm back to the boot menu again. Solus can't be launched.

Of course, I searched for a solution. I found some instructions and read the documentation, as kyrios recommended here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11071 . I also tryed to switch to "Legacy (bios) mode", as it was suggested, but it only got worse. In legacy mode, not only the Solus USB keep refusing to launch, but my Windows SSD refuse to be launched as well and I'm always going back to the boot menu. Happily, I was still able to deactivate the "Legacy (bios) mode" to get back my Windows 10, but... whatever I tryed, I found no solution to launch my Solus USB. Nothing works.

Can anyone help me to understand and fix what's wrong, please?
Thank's in advance.
First message:
Hello,

I recently got a new computer, theorically 100% compatible with Linux.

On this computer, I have 2 SSD disks of 250 Go each.

What I want is to install a dual boot, to have
- "Windows 10 (already installed)" on the first SSD disk.
- "Solus" on the second SSD disk

Since it is not a "classic" dual booting, I wanted to ask for your help before I try to install Solus. How can I do? Do I install every partitions on the 2nd SSD disk? Do I have to install just the grub on another partition on the 1st disk and everything else in the second one?

What would you recommend?

PS: Please, if possible, avoid complex words / turns of phrases to explain me the steps. I'm French and not 100% at ease with the English language. ^^'
Last edited by Akelun on Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:06 am, edited 5 times in total.

gimcrack

Re: Need help for a particular installation in Dual Boot

Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:09 pm

You just install Solus onto the 2 SSD. The whole thing.

In my BIOS I can disable other hard drives. That's how I would install Solus. Disable your Windows hard drive. So nothing will get install onto your Windows drive.

Now start up Solus Live DVD/Flash Drive. Click onto Install and follow the instructions. I didn't make any special partitions. I just let Solus install the way it wanted to. I have a Solus Budgie Blog, I'll PM it to you. Read the Meat and Potatoes one.

Akelun

Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:07 pm

gimcrack wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:09 pm
You just install Solus onto the 2 SSD. The whole thing.

In my BIOS I can disable other hard drives. That's how I would install Solus. Disable your Windows hard drive. So nothing will get install onto your Windows drive.
"Installing Solus on the 2 SSD", but disabling Windows hard drive so "nothing will get install onto my windows drive"?
Uum, but the thing is, I don't have any hard disk, just 2 SSD. And my windows is on one of these SSD. So... I don't understand. Maybe you didn't understand what I meant or that's me who didn't understand what you meant. XP

Also, I received your PM, but I'm not sure how your post on your blog can help me. I already installed several distributions in dual boot before, I know how to do. I just never did it on 2 SSD (with one with Windows installed already). Where I really need help is to know where I should make my partitions. Where should I make the "home" partition? The "boot"? The "root"? And the "swap"? If I remember well, this is the 4 partitions needed for a linux distribution. After, there is maybe a "grub" partition also, for the dual boot? But I think this should be included in the simple "boot" partition if I remember well.

Ah! And also, yes, last precision I forgot, my computer is in UEFI "GPT". And since I'm on windows and don't have any CD / DVD reader, I will use "Rufus" to make a USB key with the .iso of Solus.

kyrios

Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:24 pm

Akelun wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:44 pm
Since it is not a "classic" dual booting, I wanted to ask for your help before I try to install Solus. How can I do? Do I install every partitions on the 2nd SSD disk? Do I have to install just the grub on another partition on the 1st disk and everything else in the second one?

What would you recommend?

PS: Please, if possible, avoid complex words / turns of phrases to explain me the steps. I'm French and not 100% at ease with the English language. ^^'
Actually it's a classic setup. Just run the installer and select the free SSD.
The bootloader will be installed on the same EFI partition as the windows one.
And this is the only extra step you should execute to avoid problems during updates:
Windows creates a 100Mb EFI/ESP partition. Solus recommends 512Mb. So you should resize it.

Donc voilà j'espère que le vocabulaire n'était pas trop difficile. ;)

Akelun

Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:50 pm

Oh? Really that should be that easy?
Well, except of course for the EFI/ESP partition to resize, of course. The rest seems easy.

And the bootloader will automatically install on this windows partition? It doesn't need me to tell it it must install there and there's no risk it will format this partition before installing?

Thank's by the way for your help and don't worry, the words you used wasn't too hard. Plus, I can use a dictionnary if needed. It's mostly hard turns of phrases which can give me some troubles. XP

kyrios

Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:07 pm

Akelun wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:50 pm
Oh? Really that should be that easy?
Well, except of course for the EFI/ESP partition to resize, of course. The rest seems easy.

And the bootloader will automatically install on this windows partition? It doesn't need me to tell it it must install there and there's no risk it will format this partition before installing?

Thank's by the way for your help and don't worry, the words you used wasn't too hard. Plus, I can use a dictionnary if needed. It's mostly hard turns of phrases which can give me some troubles. XP
The installer should be clever enough to install Solus alongside windows in automatic mode

However, if you prefer, you can manually partition your 2nd SSD (with gparted from the live ISO or from windows, as you prefer). And then during the installation, you'll have to assign the mount points to the partitions you have created. You must have at least 1 partition for /. You can also have a 2nd partition for /home and eventually a swap partition.

For EFI, I think the installer won't let you select the bootloader location (it will be greyed out)

gimcrack

Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:03 am

I don't have any hard disk, just 2 SSD.
I believe I call them Hard Drives not Hard Disk. I call SSD Hard Drives also. HHD is a mechanical drive. SSD is a Solid-State Drive. But to me there both Hard Drives. Which they're both storage units. I'm an America, give me a break. :P

The reason I told you do disable your Windows SSD. So GRUB/UEFI won't get install onto your Windows SSD. I like both SSD to think their the only OS on the system. Plus it's easy to change things if you don't mess around with the other SSD.

And I don't make separated partitions at all. I just let Solus do all it's own thing. You'll have a Swap, and /root, that will contain /home, etc.

All you do just pop in your Solus LIve USB. Boot off of it and click install and your done after all the prompts. That's it, your done. That's what my Blog was explaining in that post call Meat and Potatoes. There is also a photo of the default partitions that Solus made on it own.

Hope you got enough info from me and others. I wasn't confuse of what you was saying. I guess some of the terminology was used differently by me.

Akelun

Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:16 am

gimcrack wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:03 am
I don't have any hard disk, just 2 SSD.
I believe I call them Hard Drives not Hard Disk. I call SSD Hard Drives also. HHD is a mechanical drive. SSD is a Solid-State Drive. But to me there both Hard Drives. Which they're both storage units. I'm an America, give me a break. :P

The reason I told you do disable your Windows SSD. So GRUB/UEFI won't get install onto your Windows SSD. I like both SSD to think their the only OS on the system. Plus it's easy to change things if you don't mess around with the other SSD.

And I don't make separated partitions at all. I just let Solus do all it's own thing. You'll have a Swap, and /root, that will contain /home, etc.

All you do just pop in your Solus LIve USB. Boot off of it and click install and your done after all the prompts. That's it, your done. That's what my Blog was explaining in that post call Meat and Potatoes. There is also a photo of the default partitions that Solus made on it own.

Hope you got enough info from me and others. I wasn't confuse of what you was saying. I guess some of the terminology was used differently by me.
I have to admit, the idea of letting both SSD managing just 1 OS is really interesting... and probably what I'm searching for too, as well.

Well, thank's kyrios and gimcrack for the explanations and help.

Though, I have the time to try it. I must send back my laptop. It appears that my CPU fan was running at more than 3000 revolutions per minute because my processor heat is mesured between 40 °C at rest to 100 °C when I open a programm (like Firefox) or read a Youtube video, or anything. So I need to send it back tommorrow and to wait it is repaired and sent back to me to try to install the dual boot. =/

Akelun

Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:38 pm

My laptop is repaired and back.

So, since everything seems to go well, I decided to finally try to follow your advices to try to install Solus in my 2nd SSD (the 1st one being with Windows 10).

So, I've created my USB live using the programm Rufus (and set it to UEFI GPT, since my computer is in UEFI GPT) and the .iso of Solus 3. Then, I rebooted my laptop and entered to the boot menu (after I checked if my "Secure boot" is disabled) and chose to launch the USB.

And there goes my first problem. Nothing's happening. I have a black screen for 3 to 5 seconds, and then, I'm back to the boot menu again. Solus can't be launched.

Of course, I searched for a solution. I found some instructions and read the documentation, as kyrios recommended here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11071 . I also tryed to switch to "Legacy (bios) mode", as it was suggested, but it only got worse. In legacy mode, not only the Solus USB keep refusing to launch, but my Windows SSD refuse to be launched as well and I'm always going back to the boot menu. Happily, I was still able to deactivate the "Legacy (bios) mode" to get back my Windows 10, but... whatever I tryed, I found no solution to launch my Solus USB. Nothing works.

Can anyone help me to understand and fix what's wrong, please?
Thank's in advance.

kyrios

Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:48 am

Akelun wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:38 pm

Did you create the boot disk using DD image ?

Return to “Installation”