david

Re: Status Update - Must Read!

Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:47 am

For me the difference is best illustrated by the following.

KDE provides me with a file browser with a selection of default values selected, but with the option to change most of them according to my particular preference.
Gnome provides me with a file browser from which they're removed most options and over which I'm then insulted when I ask "what sort of design team removes options, particularly when half their user base is screaming at them not do so?" If I wanted a dumb media consumption device I'd have bought an Apple Mac. I am extremely cautious of the "don't try to think, let us do it for you' approach to UI design. It never works.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Consensus means we agree to say collectively what none of us believe individually.

Justin
Development Team

Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:55 am

Just a quick one, what options do you need from the file manager? IE what options in pcmanfm/nemo/dolphin do you use?

david

Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:04 am

Think of the current Solus file manager with an Up button and a 'space left on device' read out somewhere.
For me, that's all that's missing.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Consensus means we agree to say collectively what none of us believe individually.

wongs

Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:22 am

Yes to "Up one level" button and "space left" indication.

Also:

1. a settings menu where one can set - among other things - the default preferences, and in particular the default view.
2. "open as administrator" option

ADDED: also, an option to permanently delete files, not just dump them in Trash. It makes a difference for thumb drives when I need to keep certain files contiguous. If it goes into the .trash folders, it messes things up even if I then clear the .trash folder.

Calenulma

Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:14 pm

ufee1dead wrote:Roger :] The emul32 stuff we're doing for Steam will end up enabling WINE :D
Just waiting for the Steam thing to make the switch!

Return to “Announcements”