bayo

How do I install proprietary software on Solus?

Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:57 pm

Hi guys,

How do I install proprietary software on Solus?
I want to drop the Windows OS and I don't want to run Ubuntu like distros.
Ubuntu has Gdebi tool to deal with the .deb files which all proprietary software developers use.
I think a tool like Gdebi will be a great + for Solus, cause there are tons of professional software products and to me it looks insane to ask the DEVs to make a package compatible every time someone needs one. In time Solus will have a lot of users will a lot of needs and i don't think there will be ever enough DEVs to take care about personal requests - especially when we talk about proprietary software.

I my case i need PRO video and sound editing software which uses GPU for rendering - all those open source like Kdenlive, Openshop, Blender and etc. are using the CPU only and and don't event have the settings to choose the render method, also the time to render is too much - for example: Kdenlive takes 6+ hours to render 40 min video the way i need, and at same time Adobe Premiere by using the GPU takes less than 2 hours for the same job(even a bit heavier - 2 passes).
I was trying to run Davinci Resolve 14.3 but no luck.
There are obvious conceptual reasons why we need drop Mac and Windows OS but in the other hand GNU/Linux has to make the users life easier - now I'm switching, rebooting all time but i make this effort to use GNU/Linux anyway during the time when i don't have to render something.
I'm sharing my thoughts because i care...

So, a tool that converts packages and at the same time protects the users and the OS from harmful and totally outdated software will make a big difference.

Thanks!

GERGE

Re: How do I install proprietary software on Solus?

Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:15 pm

DaVinci Resolve works quite well. You need to install these dependencies with eopkg first (most of them should already be installed, I am listing full dependencies just for the sake of completeness here) :

Code: Select all

sudo eopkg it libglu libgtk-2 gstreamer-1.0 libpng12 libpng12-32bit openssl qt4 qt5-base qt5-svg qt5-webkit qt5-webengine qt5-websockets
For OpenCL, you have two options, you might install ocl-icd package or you might want to install proprietry ones from AMD and NVIDIA. Intel's open source package is already in the repositories, beignet. ocl-icd works well, give it a try. Proprietary ones aren't that hard to install either but some working knowledge of Linux is required. They are not in the repositories because of licenses.

Now, download DaVinci Resolve's installer and run it with:

sudo ./DaVinci_Resolve_14.3_Linux.sh
Now just follow instructions on the terminal.

Now, you need to extract the installer with

./DaVinci_Resolve_14.3_Linux.sh --tar xf 
. There will be a libs folder there. Inside the folder, there are more .tgz files. Extract all of them into libs. They should not be in seperate folders, in libs. Now, copy libs folder into /opt/resolve.

One last thing to do, run this commands to provide the libraries DaVinci Resolve is searching with different names:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libssl.so.1.0.0 /opt/resolve/libs/libssl.so.10
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 /opt/resolve/libs/libcrypto.so.10
That's it. It will run from the shotcut in your application menu. Depending on drivers, you might need to restart X Server first.

Enjoy.

Source: Me, I am using it.

bayo

Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:43 am

Hello GERGE,

Thank you so much to taking the time!

Unfortunately, after i have done all and rebooted, i don't have it in the application menu and when i run Resolve from the terminal i get:
./resolve: error while loading shared libraries: libcudart.so.7.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I guess i need some CUDA libraries.

Thanks one more time!

EDIT:

I switched to real the ROOT account and the program runs but under ROOT Solus(at least to me) finds no sound devices at all on my system.

GERGE

Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:03 am

The command to run resolve is this: /opt/resolve/bin/resolve

Also, for any library error, make sure library is in /opt/resolve/libs.

Return to “Other Questions”