RaccoonLord

Touchpad Not Working At All?

Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:28 pm

Okay, so I'm a tiny bit of a n00b to Solus, but I'm familiar with how Linux distros work in general. I've not encountered this problem before today. I've got an Acer Aspire ES, and a maybe 6 hour old install of Solus. I can't figure out why, but my touchpad just isn't working at all. Like, no clicking, no scrolling, no moving the cursor. Its like I disabled it completely but FN + F2 doesn't bring it back.

I've updated through software center, and installed xorg-driver-input-synaptics-devel through the software center (I read in another forum that this sometimes fixes it). Xorg-driver-input-synaptics was already installed on my computer. Still nothing. I've tried reboots, using the FN key with my Wacom tablet (which I was shocked to find worked out of the box unlike most distros, so A+ guys!) plugged in and unplugged, and it doesn't seem to change a thing.

Any suggestions?

geoffrey.A

Re: Touchpad Not Working At All?

Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:18 am

What worked for my on my Acer Travelmate B117 was to:

> enable the touchpad with Fn + F7 key (for this machine). That had absolutely zero effect initially until I rebooted, and then the system could "see" the touchpad and that it was in an up status (because it was reading from the "last state" log).

> If I disable the touchpad via the same process above, and re-enable it with Fn + F7 it will immediately start working again without any reboot needed. However if I disable it and immediately reboot, when the system comes back up it will NOT work even if I re-enable it . . . to have it work again, I have to do that reboot and upon startup - - it works.

Hope the above is clear.

If you've already uninstalled and reinstalled touchpad drivers, I can't say how that effects your system now. I didn't do any of those actions.

RaccoonLord

Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:08 am

geoffrey.A wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:18 am
What worked for my on my Acer Travelmate B117 was to:

> enable the touchpad with Fn + F7 key (for this machine). That had absolutely zero effect initially until I rebooted, and then the system could "see" the touchpad and that it was in an up status (because it was reading from the "last state" log).

> If I disable the touchpad via the same process above, and re-enable it with Fn + F7 it will immediately start working again without any reboot needed. However if I disable it and immediately reboot, when the system comes back up it will NOT work even if I re-enable it . . . to have it work again, I have to do that reboot and upon startup - - it works.

Hope the above is clear.

If you've already uninstalled and reinstalled touchpad drivers, I can't say how that effects your system now. I didn't do any of those actions.
I've done restarts after disabling/enabling the touchpad with the FN key, and it didn't seem to do anything. Where would I find the 'last state' log, to see if its even registering my touchpad?

Also, I didn't uninstall any drivers, just installed the other Synaptics driver when the one that was already installed didn't seem to work.

Thanks for the suggestion, though! I'll try again when I get home from work!

RaccoonLord

Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:57 pm

Okay, it looks like I figured it out. Basically, I just went into BIOS and switched the touchpad mode from 'advanced' to 'basic', and then hit FN + F7 once I booted.

Not sure if it'll stay on when I reboot, but its working for the moment, at least!

Return to “Hardware”