bayo

Root has no sound devices detected

Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:30 pm

Hi,

I did fresh install of Budgie - two times, enabled the root account and when i log as root the system doesn't recognize any of my sound cards.
Also under root the whole "thing" is kind of buggy - i had to reboot few times in order to be able to bring up the display settings from the start menu(when i click on Display icon nothing happens), because i needed to disable the notebook screen.
All my sound cards work fine under the account created during the installation of the OS.

Thanks!

Code: Select all

Laptop System: MSI GP72 2QE
UEFI [Legacy]
Quad core Intel Core i7-5700HQ
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel HD Graphics 5600
Card-2: NVIDIA GM107M [GeForce GTX 950M]
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 5600 (Broadwell GT2)

kyrios

Re: Root has no sound devices detected

Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:23 pm

bayo wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:30 pm
Hi,

I did fresh install of Budgie - two times, enabled the root account and when i log as root the system doesn't recognize any of my sound cards.
Also under root the whole "thing" is kind of buggy - i had to reboot few times in order to be able to bring up the display settings from the start menu(when i click on Display icon nothing happens), because i needed to disable the notebook screen.
All my sound cards work fine under the account created during the installation of the OS.

Thanks!
I can't help you with that since this is something I have never tried, but I am curious to know why you do this ?
It is something really awful to do from a security point of view !

bayo

Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:39 pm

kyrios wrote:
I can't help you with that since this is something I have never tried, but I am curious to know why you do this ?
Because some proprietary software that i'm interested in installs by default under root or/and can't be run (at this stage) with the normal account in Solus.
When i plug off my LAN cable i have no worries about security... :)

UEFI [Legacy]

kyrios

Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:51 pm

bayo wrote:
kyrios wrote:
Because some proprietary software that i'm interested in installs by default under root or/and can't be run (at this stage) with the normal account in Solus.
Can't you use sudo ?

bayo

Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:55 pm

kyrios wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:51 pm
bayo wrote:
kyrios wrote:
Can't you use sudo ?
sudo doesn't help in those cases like viewtopic.php?p=36433#p36433

UEFI [Legacy]

kyrios

Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:38 pm

Sudo should work. Perhaps you could try to check on the polkit (policy kit) side or to add your account in the sudoers file

I understand that you need your thing to work and at the moment the only way you have found to do it is using root BUT this is not a solution in my humble opinion but a dirty workaround.
So instead of spending time trying to figure out how to make budgie and your hardware running fine as root, it would be better to use this time to try to make the proprietary application running fine without having to switch your whole system as root.

PS: Regarding the problem itself (I quickly read and I don't understand much), I don't understand why the application is complaining about a cuda library not found when running as a standard user but not as root.

bayo

Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:00 pm

kyrios wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:38 pm
Sudo should work. Perhaps you could try to check on the polkit (policy kit) side or to add your account in the sudoers file

I understand that you need your thing to work and at the moment the only way you have found to do it is using root BUT this is not a solution in my humble opinion but a dirty workaround.
So instead of spending time trying to figure out how to make budgie and your hardware running fine as root, it would be better to use this time to try to make the proprietary application running fine without having to switch your whole system as root.

PS: Regarding the problem itself (I quickly read and I don't understand much), I don't understand why the application is complaining about a cuda library not found when running as a standard user but not as root.
That was only as example, i have other applications like this too and without cuda they are pointless - i can't wait 6 hours for a CPU job at 100% utilization and high °C when i can do it under ms-windows for less than than two hours with the GPU(cuda).
But that is beside the point of the topic - using root or not i think it should be fully functional, i had in mind that it should be good to report in case it is a some kind of bug. :)

UEFI [Legacy]

Return to “Hardware”