mainemike

Best Way To Install Solus On This Setup

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:59 pm

I am thinking of trying Solus again. I have had problems before with it, but it's such a great system that I have to try again. Here is my current setup:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Two 500 GB HDDs, 7200 rpm
6 GB ram
8400 GS video card

Disk 1: Windows 7, Linux Lite.
Disk 2: Zorin Lite, Ubuntu Mate.

Currently, Linux Lite owns Grub and all systems are booting fine from it. I want to replace Zorin with Solus, because it is taking 3 minutes for Zorin to boot.

What I need to know is, how best to install Solus? I can overwrite Zorin, or delete that partition and resize Ubuntu, and then install Solus alongside. Would it matter how I did it?

Also, what about grub? I want Solus to boot, and in the past I had trouble with this, but I'm wondering if it was due to how I had grub set up, and which system owned it. I'm assuming I should install grub on the Solus disk, right? I have no problem if it then becomes the default grub; in fact I think it probably would be best, as long as everything else boots ok from it.

I do have some confusion re: grub vs MBR, so any advice on that would be helpful too.

Thanks,

Mike

mainemike

Re: Best Way To Install Solus On This Setup

Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:57 am

Slight change of plans. I remembered I had the original drive for this computer, which has Windows and Linux Lite. (I cloned it to a better drive as the original one may be failing). So, I can experiment with Solus there. If I succeed in installing it and it continues working, I will feel more confident putting it on one of the other drives.

mainemike

Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:19 pm

So far so good. After some initial ups and downs (Solus wouldn't boot, then booted next time - same as before), I managed to do a round of updates, and it has booted successfully three or four times now. I'll be doing more updates shortly. Hopefully things will continue to work. Solus is looking better than ever! Software Center is incredible. I installed Cantata, my favorite music app; am listening to some great Baroque music from England. Also installed Etcher, my favorite USB burning software. There is so much there, and it's so easy to install.

One thing I'm wondering about: could my problems with Solus be related to not having ever updated my bios? It's a ten year old Gateway computer. I have never had the need to update it, and it always scared me anyway.

I'll continue to report in. Things are looking good now, but I've had problems in the past. Time will tell.

Edit: Just wanted to add, my Canon printer was recognized and works with no tweaking. Great job!

mainemike

Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:31 pm

Well, most of the time it is booting. This is an improvement over last time, when it only booted 50% of the time. So things are better. I'll leave it on my old drive. When Solus 4 comes out, I'll revisit things and see if whatever was causing the problem is fixed.

I am pretty sure that the problem is my computer, or more specifically, Solus on that computer. I don't want to mess with the bios, although I wonder if that may be the issue.

brent

Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:05 pm

Visually and practicality-wise I like using Solus 3 the best, but 1.2.1 was far more stable for me in the areas you are talking about (boot etc) and beyond. We will see what 4 brings.
I have circa-2010 thinkcentre that is still kicking, so I smile at your old Gateway.

Can't help you as I'm plotting my next Big Adventure , attempting to install a fresh Budgie on an external HD and make it the primary boot (I just haven't warmed up to sticking it next to windows yet on the primary C drive...)---Budgie is not supposed to be on the old stuff, so many of my woes are likely on me.

Good to hear your enthusiasm, and happy to see you back.

P.S.--I think your BIOS hypothesis is valid, as installation modes have consumed my research reading as of late. Will also confess I'm too scared to "Flash" my old BIOS right now. People attest it works out the kinks, but I don't know.

Return to “Installation”