Speedhoven

Minimal install

Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:43 pm

Ubuntu 18.04 is going to let users choose between a full and a minimal install:

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/02/ubu ... all-option

I think it would be nice to have a similar option on Solus too.

DGMurdockIII

Re: Minimal install

Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:29 pm

This would be a good idea

olivir

Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:20 pm

OMGUBUNTU wrote:A standard Ubuntu install with all bells, whistles and apps included weighs in at just over 4GB. The stripped-back, semi-skim minimal option is a tad lighter at 3.5 GB.

I think Solus install is 2 GB, insn't it ?!

Speedhoven

Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:18 pm

olivir wrote:
It's not a matter of disk space, as Solus is already very lightweight. I just think it would be nice to have a minimal install option so that there's no need to uninstall the packages one doesn't plan on using.

Intence

Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:51 pm

Speedhoven wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:18 pm
olivir wrote:
It's not a matter of disk space, as Solus is already very lightweight. I just think it would be nice to have a minimal install option so that there's no need to uninstall the packages one doesn't plan on using.
I think some packages like Firefox should be automatically be installed because I think many users benefits from this since they don't have to install it manually.
But packages like Hexchat should have a smaller userbase so it shouldn't be automatically be installed.

kyrios

Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:24 pm

Well since Solus targets the "desktop computing" segment, it's normal to ship it with a browser, mail client, office suite, video player, picture viewer/editor. The aim is to have something ready to use.
People can then add or remove whatever they want, but new users must have a workable environment with the most common applications ready to use.

Having a minimal/network install is of course more flexible for power/advanced users (who anyway knows how to build their customized post-install script) but it is mainly great with multi-purposes distributions and this is not the case of Solus only one architecture is supported: x86-64, not designed to work on tablets/netbooks/very old computers, not a server distro, ...

In my opinion, it is important to follow a road and innovate on the chosen path to become a reference rather than going in many directions, just following and doing many thing without being very good in any of them.

Justin
Development Team

Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:28 am

Intence wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:51 pm
But packages like Hexchat should have a smaller userbase so it shouldn't be automatically be installed.
It's pre-installed as it's one of the primary avenues for support.

Return to “Ideas”