Re: Deepin edition for Solus

Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:31 pm

Devil505 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:13 pm
Look what I found https://github.com/W-Floyd/solus-deepin :D

Also LXQT https://github.com/W-Floyd/solus-lxqt
Did you read that ?
Update - I tried poking at this some more, but Arch is lagging upstream and I can't be bothered to work on this too much. The effort of attempting to build and update and desktop stack at the same time is beyond me. Maybe someday...

Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:03 pm

well, it seems it more difficult than expected. :D

Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:34 am

Hey, I did the repos that were linked earlier, just thought I'd clarify some things here:

I did these as an exercise in packaging, knowing full well that they will not - and should not - be accepted upstream (that is, by the Solus devs). I do not have the time, experience, or, frankly, the interest, in maintaining things. There is a difference between having something run, and having a desktop fit for general use. If you've tried any of the arch spins with Deepin, you'll see what I mean - they're just not cohesive enough to be proud of shipping, IMO.

Deepin is a curious beast. The bits they wrote themselves tended to compile relatively easily, while the forked bits are a mess (namely, their verison of mutter than allows blurring conflicts with the real mutter than Solus ships - a big no-no). I have not tried it on bare metal yet, as I do not trust my packages. The only desktop app I have gotten running correctly is deepin-terminal. Deep down, I really do like what they're doing.

LXQt is pretty much usable, and seems easily built, but I do not recommend it. I have installed it on my own machine for testing, and no *big* issues to report (mainly with their file manager, no icons for folders and file types appear). Any other issues with it more to do with the desktop itself than my packaging - ie, HIDPI support is bad, because openbox headers being tiny. For me, that's a no-go.

Return to “Ideas”