dlalinsp

Solus Boot

Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:25 am

Hey bros and gals,
Solus 3 has been great, so far. With Solus 4 almost ready to be launched, I thought I should suggest an improvement that bugs me each time I boot my computer. The booting procedure kind of stinks! I mean look at windows 7, (I prefer it the most out of all the windows operating systems) it is beautiful when it boots. There is a fluidity in it that I missed in all the linux distros I tried. True, windows does do a lot of things that I am not fond of but it does do a few things right. We'll be all the more wiser to learn from both their strengths and pitfalls. A nice boot screen with some beautiful animations would be awesome, instead of having commands running, when you boot. So, Ikey, can you PLEASE do it? Maybe you can even fork gnu grub to support hi-dpi screens. :)

Thanks for listening,
Lalin.

kyrios

Re: Solus Boot

Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:45 pm

dlalinsp wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:25 am
Hey bros and gals,
Solus 3 has been great, so far. With Solus 4 almost ready to be launched, I thought I should suggest an improvement that bugs me each time I boot my computer. The booting procedure kind of stinks! I mean look at windows 7, (I prefer it the most out of all the windows operating systems) it is beautiful when it boots. There is a fluidity in it that I missed in all the linux distros I tried. True, windows does do a lot of things that I am not fond of but it does do a few things right. We'll be all the more wiser to learn from both their strengths and pitfalls. A nice boot screen with some beautiful animations would be awesome, instead of having commands running, when you boot. So, Ikey, can you PLEASE do it? Maybe you can even fork gnu grub to support hi-dpi screens. :)

Thanks for listening,
Lalin.
I can already answer this: Solus wants a fast boot. Currently there are no applications providing graphical boot animations that are actively maintained that have no significant impact on the boot time.
Anyway, on modern computers with a SSD drive, the boot time is so fast that there is no time to display an animation. :P

kenny,labrecque

Sun May 13, 2018 1:33 pm

Solus boot so fast that I can't tell you what you are talking about ... But, if you want something that will slow boot time, I don't agree :) ! Never saw a linux distros booting faster than Solus and I think it's necessery.

dlalinsp

Thu May 17, 2018 6:49 am

I don't want it to to slow down. I just want it to be more nicer with a few graphics and animations.

Lalin.

dlalinsp

Mon May 21, 2018 5:13 pm

How about a cool welcome screen that starts with it showing 'Solus linux' and then going to the login screen?

P.S. How about the 'welcome' sound for solus being put right after booting into solus instead of after logging in??

iamaravindim

Thu May 24, 2018 5:11 am

I would suggest removing the text login screen like output screen when it boots:

Solus Operating system
username-login:

Remove this!!!
AIM

dlalinsp

Thu May 24, 2018 3:26 pm

I totally agree with iamaravindim. That needs to go.

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Fri May 25, 2018 2:16 am

iamaravindim wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 5:11 am
I would suggest removing the text login screen like output screen when it boots:

Solus Operating system
username-login:

Remove this!!!
I certainly don't get any text on the screen during boot...

dlalinsp

Sat May 26, 2018 3:45 am

Maybe because you have a faster boot?

dlalinsp

Sun May 27, 2018 2:22 pm

sunnyflunk, are you talking about Solus Budgie?

Return to “Ideas”