veloct

Re: Move to a rolling release model

Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:32 pm

ikey wrote:
veloct wrote:I also wonder about the kernel, will there be the possibility of including more than one kernel? I ask because 4.6 and 4.7 have some additional skylake improvements that should hopefully help with those of us with newer hardware.
For now we're sticking with the LTS kernel, and in future we'll allow the stable branch too. For now we could backport Skylake fixes to our 4.4.x if you can
point me at the changes
LOL, I have no idea. I know that some of the changes in 4.6.3 where reverted because everything was fixed in 4.7 but that means nothing. I went to the kernel archives and browsed on the 4.7 kernel to see the changes related to "DRM/i915" (I'm unsure this helps you at all, likely not):

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kerne ... rep&q=i915

Sorry :?

I'll pastebin the results of my dmesg when i log in later this afternoon. Hopefully that'll provide some insight as to what is going on. Wish i had a little more knowledge to at least point you guys in the right direction.

Julian

Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:15 pm

This made my day Ikey!! I always loved rolling release systems!

Michaelo

Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:53 pm

Solus keeps getting better an better... I'm not sure I can deal with this... :mrgreen:

linuxhelmet

Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:01 am

Michaelo wrote:Solus keeps getting better an better... I'm not sure I can deal with this... :mrgreen:
Deal with it. 8-)

Thanks for the response Ikey! Not gonna lie I do notice the speed and stability of Solus is like nothing I've found in other distros.
Keep up the good work!

Gabochuky

Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:31 pm

Nothing beats a rolling distribution, and if the Solus team can keep it as fast and stable as it right now it will become the best distribution out there.

ikey
Project Founder

Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:08 am

monsieurzik

Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:59 am

Natural scrolling has come with the latest update ! Yeaaaah !
Thaks guys for the work on Solus.
Jonathan
Solus 3 - Sony Vaio VGN-FW11M

mason

Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:52 pm

Love the work so far. Thanks for LMDE, too. Not a big fan of Ubuntu, mostly the direction they've gone, so when I saw LMDE, was pretty stoked.

Anyhow, I'm just wondering how switching to a rolling release will affect 1.2 users? Is there going to be an opt-in of some sort, like an upgrade, or will this switch happen seamlessly if we're already installed?

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:11 pm

mason wrote:Anyhow, I'm just wondering how switching to a rolling release will affect 1.2 users? Is there going to be an opt-in of some sort, like an upgrade, or will this switch happen seamlessly if we're already installed?
When you update Solus 1.2, you will upgrade to 4.7 kernel, gnome 3.20 and qt 5.6. There's nothing to opt-in to, there's nothing to opt-out of.

mason

Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:14 am

sunnyflunk wrote:
mason wrote:Anyhow, I'm just wondering how switching to a rolling release will affect 1.2 users? Is there going to be an opt-in of some sort, like an upgrade, or will this switch happen seamlessly if we're already installed?
When you update Solus 1.2, you will upgrade to 4.7 kernel, gnome 3.20 and qt 5.6. There's nothing to opt-in to, there's nothing to opt-out of.
I see I'm at kernel 4.7. So that's it, then, ready to roll?

Return to “Announcements”