xToRMyy

Unable to install Latest Nvidia drivers

Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:39 pm

Yes, I know this has been talked about numerous times but all those posts seem to be totally outdated, and I hope to get an updated answer from the devs. Thanks <3

Here: I installed Solus after creating 3 partitions: Root, Swap, and Home. Then, the first thing I did was install the mandatory updates, followed by the recommended security updates. After that, I clicked on 'Hardware Drivers' from the Budgie Menu and installed the 'Nvidia 340.xx drivers' + the 32-bit version of the same since I plan to game.

Restarted the PC, and Solus won't boot. I was able to open the terminal thingy using Alt+F4, which I guess means it's the GUI which is not working.

Reinstalled Solus a couple times but every time I'd install Nvidia drivers it'd end up like this. I'm not even trying to install the latest drivers yet. Help :| ?

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Re: Unable to install Latest Nvidia drivers

Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:54 pm

xToRMyy wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:39 pm
Yes, I know this has been talked about numerous times but all those posts seem to be totally outdated, and I hope to get an updated answer from the devs. Thanks <3

Here: I installed Solus after creating 3 partitions: Root, Swap, and Home. Then, the first thing I did was install the mandatory updates, followed by the recommended security updates. After that, I clicked on 'Hardware Drivers' from the Budgie Menu and installed the 'Nvidia 340.xx drivers' + the 32-bit version of the same since I plan to game.

Restarted the PC, and Solus won't boot. I was able to open the terminal thingy using Alt+F4, which I guess means it's the GUI which is not working.

Reinstalled Solus a couple times but every time I'd install Nvidia drivers it'd end up like this. I'm not even trying to install the latest drivers yet. Help :| ?
You need to perform a full update. For installing the nvidia drivers to work, you need to have the latest kernel installed, install the nvidia drivers and then boot into the latest kernel (this is the only one the nvidia module exists for). Not booting into the latest kernel available in the repo at the time the nvidia drivers were installed will lead to what you have described.

https://solus-project.com/articles/trou ... ot-failure

Return to “Hardware”