sunnyflunk
Development Team

Re: improve the forum

Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:38 pm

One of the biggest issues I've witnessed is that typically, but answering one question, you help one person and the same questions get asked over and over again (there's thousands of duplicates). Then when people search for the answer, they'll find a thread that's a year old and full of old and incorrect information. I'm not sure adding gamification will solve that issue alone

GreenMartian

Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:11 am

Generally, I like the Solus forum as It's simple and fairly clean in visuals and mirrors the distro. Limited support is dedicated, helpful and honest.

Reddit is also a good asset, and you're more likely to reach the head honcho off-site if that's your intention.

Manjaro & Ubuntu Mate - I think they use the same forum provider, or at least they're similar. It's good. In fact, it looks like Mr. Doherty had similar nice comments on Manjaro's forum...see about halfway down in the following thread... https://forum.manjaro.org/t/budgie-will ... n/16343/32 8-)

My experience finds the Solus forum search algorithm leaves a bit to be desired. it's good at finding key words, but not very intuitive at finding search sentences. If that was better, there's no question you'd solve quite a bit of the repeat quesions that are of concern.

GM

Raitsa

Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:07 pm

I would love to see Xenforo.com forum software in use here.

Its so superior to anything else available (for both the users & admins/mods) and it only costs $140.

danielson

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:38 pm

I'm not a connaisseur of various forum sets, but, if Solus forum is to be a reflection of its OS, then the user should have a corresponding, darker version to choose from in the options (RebornOS has one - not that i like this distro though, nor the choice of colors for their forum).

Didn't know there was dedicated Reddit thread.
Time to check it out! ;)

richtigmois

Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:40 pm

I don't know why but my posts got d3l3t3d :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

danielson

Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:25 pm

Probably a glitch or maybe some dirty censored word you tried to use. :lol:

I tried to use "banana republic" in another forum and the post was always "banned/blocked" before it could even hit the thread.

kyrios

Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:59 pm

That's because for each (new) user the messages go in the moderation queue until a few of them have been approved. This was enable to mitigate spam on the forums (people who used to visit the forum in the first half of last year probably remember some of the spam waves).

Nothing was deleted, it was just awaiting for review.

danielson

Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:43 pm

I'm new to Stylish for Firefox, but maybe there's a way to configure this forum to our liking with this browser?

danielson

Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:02 pm

Thanks to Martin at GHacks, i discovered Midnight Lizard extension for Firefox that can modify webpage and browser themes.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... d-quantum/

I'm still new at it (many options) but have got this forum super dark now.
Much easier on the eyes. ;)

tomandre

Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:42 pm

That's because for each (new) user the messages go in the moderation queue until a few of them have been approved.
That is probably a really bad idea. On the homepage, it says things like
Solus is an operating system that is designed for home computing
and
Designed for Everyone
. This could attract people that are not experienced Linux user (like myself), and hopefully it does. Though... you run into a few problems, post something in the forum and you are told your post has to be approved first. By the time your post is approved, you could be long gone.

I do understand the potential irritation, but it's not very welcoming for new users. Maybe you could prove that you're actually using Solus - spammers wouldn't go through the hassle of installing the OS, just to post something. I don't know how that should work, just an idea - moving on, is a easy as typing "best linux distro" in your search box.

Return to “Ideas”