jussery

graphics crashes after updating solus in virtualbox guest

Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:09 am

Virtualbox 5.2.8
Virtualbox Extension pack: 5.2.8
Host: Windows 10
Guest: Solus Budgie 3
Kernel: 4.15.7-60

Solus installs well. After full upgrade and reboot, graphics crashes and screen is not usable. Remote Display on 127.0.0.2:3389 shows the same. I'm thinking this is isn't a virtualbox issue.

Has anyone experienced this yet? Is there a solution?
Thanks in advance.
James

Currently using Solus in VirtualBox v5.2.8

kyrios

Re: graphics crashes after updating solus in virtualbox guest

Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:23 am

jussery wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:09 am
Virtualbox 5.2.8
Virtualbox Extension pack: 5.2.8
Host: Windows 10
Guest: Solus Budgie 3
Kernel: 4.15.7-60

Solus installs well. After full upgrade and reboot, graphics crashes and screen is not usable. Remote Display on 127.0.0.2:3389 shows the same. I'm thinking this is isn't a virtualbox issue.

Has anyone experienced this yet? Is there a solution?
Thanks in advance.
I am using virtualbox 5.2.8 (Solus as host and guest) with the kernel 4.15.7 too and it's working.
Someone reported that the guest additions failed to build. Did it work for you ?

Does your screen looks like the one on this article ?

downhill

Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:54 am

kyrios wrote:
Thanks for this. Using right-CTRL-F1 and then right-CTRL-F7 resolves the screen issue for me under VirtualBox 5.2.8. However, it would be nice to know why this is happening. It wasn't an issue on another machine that I'm running Solus 3 Budgie as a guest under VirtualBox.

kyrios

Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:13 am

downhill wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:54 am
kyrios wrote:
Thanks for this. Using right-CTRL-F1 and then right-CTRL-F7 resolves the screen issue for me under VirtualBox 5.2.8. However, it would be nice to know why this is happening. It wasn't an issue on another machine that I'm running Solus 3 Budgie as a guest under VirtualBox.
Haven't found a solution yet.
It might be caused by the fact that it loads xorg server before the video driver is loaded or because lightdm doesn't apply the udev rules or something like that...

Any help of this is welcome because I already spent hours on this with very few progress... :(

aiwan

Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:12 am

kyrios wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:13 am
Haven't found a solution yet.
It might be caused by the fact that it loads xorg server before the video driver is loaded or because lightdm doesn't apply the udev rules or something like that...

Any help of this is welcome because I already spent hours on this with very few progress... :(
I was again playing with fully updated Solus Budgie VM on Virtualbox as I would really need one proper linux VM and Solus would obviously be the best option. :)

Used the latest lts kernel. Tested with Virtualbox 5.1.30 and 5.2.12 on Windows host and screen indeed is corrupted after boot and you have switch to terminal view and back (ctrl-alt-f2, ctrl-alt-f7) to remove corruption. However it seems obvious that Virtualbox drivers are not properly loaded and screen resolution defaults to 1024*768 and changing virtual resolution from the Virtualbox menu does not work.

Alright, login and logout. Immediately after (no need to relogin to desktop) all graphics are fixed and you can change virtual resolution etc. even while on login screen. As I was playing with guest settings I once thought I fixed it by decreasing guest video memery from 256MB to 128MB, and while I had success on a few reboots, it eventually came back.

It feels like Solus boots too quickly, as kyrios was thinking, and something with Virtualbox graphics cannot keep up, as "resetting" things with manual relogin fixes it.

Any ideas would be more than welcome...

kyrios

Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:50 am

aiwan wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:12 am
I was again playing with fully updated Solus Budgie VM on Virtualbox as I would really need one proper linux VM and Solus would obviously be the best option. :)

Used the latest lts kernel. Tested with Virtualbox 5.1.30 and 5.2.12 on Windows host and screen indeed is corrupted after boot and you have switch to terminal view and back (ctrl-alt-f2, ctrl-alt-f7) to remove corruption. However it seems obvious that Virtualbox drivers are not properly loaded and screen resolution defaults to 1024*768 and changing virtual resolution from the Virtualbox menu does not work.

Alright, login and logout. Immediately after (no need to relogin to desktop) all graphics are fixed and you can change virtual resolution etc. even while on login screen. As I was playing with guest settings I once thought I fixed it by decreasing guest video memery from 256MB to 128MB, and while I had success on a few reboots, it eventually came back.

It feels like Solus boots too quickly, as kyrios was thinking, and something with Virtualbox graphics cannot keep up, as "resetting" things with manual relogin fixes it.

Any ideas would be more than welcome...
This problem was fixed quite a while ago. This should work (I don't have windows to test but the host shouldn't really matters) :
For the Solus part, just follow the help center instruction.
For windows, install the latest version of virtualbox (5.2.12) and the extension pack
- Then create a Solus VM
- Do a full system update (sudo eopkg up)
- Install the virutalbox guest additions (sudo eopkg it virtualbox-guest-current)
- reboot (make sure you boot on the HDD)

Note: that there is currently a very annoying bug with virtualbox guests and the kernel 4.17. A workaround is to use the "lts" kernel (4.9) until it's fixed.

aiwan

Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:39 pm

kyrios wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:50 am
This problem was fixed quite a while ago. This should work (I don't have windows to test but the host shouldn't really matters) :
Thank you! This really helped me, even though I had to make some adjustments. So far I used to build virtualbox drivers from guest additions CD manually.

In order to use existing Solus image all you need to do:
1) update host to Virtualbox 5.2.12 (not sure if even this is necessary)
2) uninstall any old guest additions as instructed at https://solus-project.com/articles/soft ... ualbox/en/.
3) Optional: uninstall linux-current kernel (while the bug kyrios mentioned is not fixed)
4) install lts kernel
5) reboot
6) 'sudo eopkg it virtualbox-guest'. This is important! Do not install virtualbox-guest-current as it requires linux-current. On lts kernel you need to use virtualbox-guest.
7) reboot

Now graphics should work as well as well as shared folders, shared clipboard etc. The key point is not to manually build guest additions but to use Solus package insteads. Should have tried already, but luckily there is no need to build your VM images from scratch.

Thanks kyrios!!!

EDIT: Yes this works on Windows host with Virtualbox 5.1.30 (you may skip step 1 above). This is important because of the audio bug: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17225. Since VB 5.1.30, the audio playback has been broken on Windows host with Linux and Windows guests. :(

Virtualbox users are punished hard, many will be seeking for alternatives. The other critical is already mentioned https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17827 and yesterday's release 5.2.14 made no difference...

Return to “Installation”