Kescba

Have one image with multi desktop enovirements

Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:45 pm

Just an idea. Many Linux distributions makes so many diffrent images with diffrent desktop enovirements, but why not have it all in 1 image? So the users can choose a desktop during installation? I belive i have seen this in a Debian installation recently..

KalinDimitrov

Re: Have one image with multi desktop enovirements

Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:04 pm

In principle that is good idea but there is one huge issue. You can't test what you will install

kyrios

Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:07 pm

And it would increase the size of the image

Craig-toyoracer

Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:46 pm

Kescba wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:45 pm
So the users can choose a desktop during installation?

Is this not the same as picking which ISO to download ?

Solus tailors each DE specific for optimum performance, which you can not do in an all in one install.

You can run different DE in VM or multi-boot.

Kescba

Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:01 pm

Didnt know it was impossible to have it all in one iso and optimize the installation after what DE is selected during the installation.. But it was more to have focus on 1 image and not 3. (And if mores coming)

DGMurdockIII

Mon May 21, 2018 6:55 pm

this should and can be done

iancobb

Wed May 23, 2018 4:24 pm

There is an Arch-based distro called Antergos, and this is basically what it does. However, Antergos isn't a tailored suite. It's just Arch (barebones, limited packages to be installed... a little over 500Mb) plus 6 minimal desktops (which make up the rest of the 1.9Gb).

Solus is intended to be a complete DE and competent alternative to Windows or OSX. If they attempted to do what you're asking, they'd either have to make considerable compromises or release a 4Gb+ .iso. Neither would be a popular choice.

I made a post recently suggesting what I feel would be a suitable alternative. (Shameless plug in 3... 2... 1...) A net-installer...

Manjaro's net-installer--called the Architect build--allows the user to partition, format, and mount any/all drives, install the base system--including optional development packages and kernel of choice--then install one of a dozen DE's (three supported and several community-maintained) or choose CLI only... Then, the user can choose a minimal install, full suite, or personally select all required packages to be installed.

It's awesome. It's easy. It's an excellent way to learn. If I ever had Ikey's ear, I would insist that this is a must for any distribution.

gevera

Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:34 pm

I believe the Manjaro Architect Option is something to look into. Flexibility and freedom of choice is what most of the users are seeking.

Return to “Ideas”