Corvus

Budgie VM excessive CPU load with NVIDIA drivers

Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:01 am

Well, as the title says, I've got a liitle problem with Nvidia drivers.....
This is my basic system info :

Code: Select all

System:    Host: corvus-ultra Kernel: 4.15.11-61.current x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Budgie 10.4
           Distro: Solus 3.999
Machine:   Device: laptop System: ASUSTeK product: UX310UQK v: 1.0 serial: N/A
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: UX310UQK v: 1.0 serial: N/A
           UEFI: American Megatrends v: UX310UQK.300 date: 10/03/2016
Battery    BAT0: charge: 43.1 Wh 96.2% condition: 44.8/48.3 Wh (93%)
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i7-7500U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
           clock speeds: max: 3500 MHz 1: 800 MHz 2: 800 MHz 3: 798 MHz 4: 800 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel HD Graphics 620
           Card-2: NVIDIA GM108M [GeForce 940MX]
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 ) drivers: nouveau,intel (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.01hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 620 (Kaby Lake GT2) version: 4.5 Mesa 17.3.6
Audio:     Card Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA v: k4.15.11-61.current
Network:   Card: Intel Wireless 8260 driver: iwlwifi
           IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: f4:8c:50:e5:44:a8
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1512.3GB (51.7% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sdb model: SanDisk_SD8SN8U5 size: 512.1GB
           ID-2: /dev/sda model: ST1000LM035 size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 30G used: 18G (64%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb2
           ID-2: /home size: 439G used: 173G (42%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb3
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 30.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 217 Uptime: 23 min Memory: 1899.9/15987.3MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.38 
As you can see, it's an Asus Kaby Lake ultrabook.
Using the intel drivers, things run smoothly ( <praise mode>I've recently switched from Ubuntu to Solus and I'm seriously impressed by the overall work :shock: </praise mode> ), but after installing the Nvidia drivers via DoFlicky and rebooting the music changes....
The budgie-wm process cpu usage skyrockets to almost 80% from the usual 11% with intel drivers and the core temperature reaches 70° C never going down.
Reverting to Intel drivers returns things to normal.
I'm pretty baffled by this behavior because this same machine running the same drivers under Ubuntu never reached this temps on idle ,but only under stress (running some Steam games).
Now, I'm perfectly happy with running Intel drivers only (I use this laptop as a mobile workstation and not as a gaming rig) but I would like to understand the reason behind this curious behavior.
Any ideas ?
When in doubt, choke 'em out !

Corvus

Re: Budgie VM excessive CPU load with NVIDIA drivers

Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:26 pm

Now, googling around a bit I found this on the Nvidia forums.
Quoting the relevant parts:
....... As for my suggestion, it is to get off of LINUX or see if someone can get you a Linux version of the 369.37 Driver.......
The first half of the advice is obviously pure rubbish (and I'm joining Linus in his opinion on Nvidia on this....), but the second half is a bit more significant.
If I'm not mistaken, Solus installs the 340 series driver: in your opinion, installing (after requesting it for inclusion, of course) the recommended driver has a chance to fix the problem or the Nvidia guy is talking out of his........ experience :mrgreen: ?

Corvus

Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:26 pm

Ehmmmmm....... nothing :? ?
Again, the laptop works (exceptionally) well even without Nvidia, but i would like to keep my options open....

Corvus

Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:02 pm

Sorry to pester again, but it's been nearly a month since I opened the thread and it seems that I'm the only one responding.
Given that the problem currently stands I would like an answer, even if it's "We don't know".
Thanks.

khalismur

Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:59 pm

I have noticed something similar. While running a 'light' application in wine, I noticed a bit worse performance with Intel CPU + NVIDIA card in Solus than when I was using Manjaro. Notebook gets very hot and CPU load always at 100%.

To be honest, I am considering switching back to Manjaro.

Solus caused me an AMAZING first impression. Budge is beautiful and the out-of-the-box configuration works amazingly. I feel though the dev team is a bit small for the amount of users and the kind of users they aim at the moment. The main developer, for example, hasn't been active in the forums for the past 3 months!! I know there are other ways of reporting issues and asking for support. I tried IRC, dev tracker and even contributed to a GitHub Budgie issue... I feel the community support is a bit lacking when comparing to, for example, the Ubuntu or Manjaro forums.

While I was very happy and impressed with Solus's beauty and OS speed, the actual performance of some applications and community leave some to be desired.

TheBigDuck

Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:32 am

I posted this elsewhere, but I'll repeat it here.

I installed Ubuntu Budgie and selected the Nvidia driver and got the same results as Solus OS.

The fans kicked on and screamed most of the time.

It's annoying.

Corvus

Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:13 am

Ok, this is without doubt a budgie bug.....
I installed Mate alongside budgie, switched to it, installed the Nvidia drivers.......... and everything worked well. Cpu usage, core temp, fans, everything normal.
Logout from Mate, login into budgie ---> ventilated oven mode :mrgreen:
That's definitely something for Ikey to fix.

Return to “Hardware”