kyrios

Re: Finally destroyed Solus 3 installation :-(

Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:59 pm

User1 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:15 am
I did that but I guess we misunderstand each other maybe.
I'm talking about the general "good practice" how to try out some software and safely removing it afterwards in the case I don't want to keep it. Why is it that in my case the pulseaudio had only a few dependencies when installing and way more when uninstalling resulting in destroying my system?

EDIT:
That in mind, how secure is it to install the announced updates on a daily check? I don't want to have that kind of problems again only by keeping my system up to date.
A good practice is to always keep your system up-to-date, this for security & stability. This is the number #1 advice to avoid problems.

Personally I use a virtual machine to build, install, test and uninstall packages. This way all the rubbishes left behind (settings I my have changed, configurations files in the home directory, log files, ...) remain in the VM and my system stays clean. It could be an option for you if you want to experiment things.

The best way to test an applications and then remove them assuming you don't install anything in between is to the "tackeback" option of "eopkg history". This allows you to rollback to a specific operation number (all operations following the given number will be undone).

So Imagine you just installed "application xyz" to test it and you want to remove it, type "eopkg hs" to find the operation number, you'll see something like
Operation #440: install
Date: 2010-01-01 01:01

* application xyz 1.2-3-1-x86_64 is installed.
Operation is 440, so you want to rollback to the preceding operation -> "sudo eopkg hs -t339"
that's it. :)

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:02 am

User1 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:15 am
sunnyflunk wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:55 pm
User1 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:55 pm

Full update? I can not try out some application and deleting it like on Windows or MacOS? Really?
A full update ensures that all packages are using the same ABI/API (as packages are rebuilt to do so). After installation a full update is easily the best thing you can do (as the longer since the system has been updated, the more likely there is ABI/API breakage). Without a full update and installing packages, you will be installing some updates, but not all.
I did that but I guess we misunderstand each other maybe.
I'm talking about the general "good practice" how to try out some software and safely removing it afterwards in the case I don't want to keep it. Why is it that in my case the pulseaudio had only a few dependencies when installing and way more when uninstalling resulting in destroying my system?

EDIT:
That in mind, how secure is it to install the announced updates on a daily check? I don't want to have that kind of problems again only by keeping my system up to date.
Well now you specify what you did, that's easy. All ISO's come with pulseaudio as it's a pretty core package that all desktops depend on. I'm surprised if you were able to install it (but rather update it to a later version). Removing pulseaudio will remove a large chunk of your install including your desktop.

I wouldn't recommend removing most stuff that comes preinstalled on the ISO

User1

Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:57 pm

kyrios wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:59 pm
The best way to test an applications and then remove them assuming you don't install anything in between is to the "tackeback" option of "eopkg history". This allows you to rollback to a specific operation number (all operations following the given number will be undone).
Thanks. I used that feature already to repair my system. =)

Return to “Installation”