Chad

Dual Monitor Setup

Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:21 am

I just installed Solus for the first time and am impressed. I'm running into a problem with my dual monitor setup. I have a newer 27" HP (HDMI) and an older 19" HP (DVI). When I boot, the encryption login will only show up in the smaller, older monitor which is really a secondary monitor for use when needed. Once I get past the encryption sign in, the primary monitor lights up and I can use my user login. In the Solus settings, I have set it up so the 27" is my primary monitor. Is this a known problem or working as intended?

Thanks for your time.

pwn3r

Re: Dual Monitor Setup

Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:17 pm

I am also having an issue with monitors, but I am running 3 total (one 4k display on my laptop, and 2 2560x1600 screens attached via a USBC docking station). I am running a Dell XPS 9560 laptop, and with the live install USB, I get two displays working, and the "taskbar" (sorry, I'm a Windows guy) doesn't display on the second screen. When I complete the install and I rebooted, I updated all the installed packages, but now I get no "dock" or "taskbar" on any screen.

Additionally arranging the screens left to right as they are on my desk 4K, 2K, 2K side to side aligned on the top of the screen, I can't get all the screens to even turn on (if I turn one of the 2k resolutions, to half res, it allows them all to turn on). If I stack the two 2k monitors to the right of the 4k screen, I can have all 3 on at full resolution.

Is there something I need to do to fix that? What do I need to do to get my "taskbar" or "dock" back with all 3 monitors on? I know this laptop has optimus, and I'd be fine with the lower battery life of turning it off if need be. I tried to use some steps I found for Fedora, but those did not work, and I ended up having to delete my installation and reinstall.

aldius

Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:50 pm

From what i can remember that is the hardware setup at boot. It looks 1st for a dvi/vga monitor 1st then hdmi. If i wrong please correct me.

pwn3r

Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:08 pm

I was able to get it to work by replacing the drivers for the Nvidia card with the proprietary version. That seems to have resolved the display issues. I now have all 3 screens at full resolution.

Chad

Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:26 am

aldius wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:50 pm
From what i can remember that is the hardware setup at boot. It looks 1st for a dvi/vga monitor 1st then hdmi. If i wrong please correct me.
Thanks for the reply. It seems odd that it would pick the lower quality monitor first, particularly if it's powered off. I'd prefer to leave the secondary (VGA) monitor off unless needed.

Return to “Hardware”