throwawaymo

My touchpad randomly stops working, however a USB mouse still works if I plug it in.

Mon May 14, 2018 6:17 pm

Basically, I will be using the touchpad, and then out of nowhere the cursor will freeze in place, and It wont move, however I will still be able to click in the place where the cursor has frozen. If i plug in a USB mouse, I can move the cursor again, but the touchpad still wont work until a restart.

kyrios

Re: My touchpad randomly stops working, however a USB mouse still works if I plug it in.

Mon May 14, 2018 7:21 pm

throwawaymo wrote:
Basically, I will be using the touchpad, and then out of nowhere the cursor will freeze in place, and It wont move, however I will still be able to click in the place where the cursor has frozen. If i plug in a USB mouse, I can move the cursor again, but the touchpad still wont work until a restart.

You should check in the journal/dmesg logs when the problem occurs to see if you can find useful error messages that would help troubleshooting the issue.

throwawaymo

Re: My touchpad randomly stops working, however a USB mouse still works if I plug it in.

Mon May 14, 2018 8:30 pm

kyrios wrote:
throwawaymo wrote:

You should check in the journal/dmesg logs when the problem occurs to see if you can find useful error messages that would help troubleshooting the issue.
I'm new to Linux, Im aware of dmesg logs but what is journal?

kyrios

Tue May 15, 2018 10:10 am

throwawaymo wrote:
kyrios wrote:
throwawaymo wrote:

The command to view the journal logs is journalctl.
There are some useful parameters like -b to see the logs for the current boot. you can combine this -1 (-b -1) to see the logs of the previous boot.
Running journactl with sudo will show much more logs.

Use your favorite search engine on journalctl to find out more info (like here for example)

throwawaymo

Wed May 16, 2018 4:51 pm

kyrios wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:10 am
throwawaymo wrote:
kyrios wrote:

The command to view the journal logs is journalctl.
There are some useful parameters like -b to see the logs for the current boot. you can combine this -1 (-b -1) to see the logs of the previous boot.
Running journactl with sudo will show much more logs.

Use your favorite search engine on journalctl to find out more info (like here for example)
It happened again, and I tried using those commands, I copied and paste the most recent parts, minutes before and after it happens.
Journal
https://pastebin.com/bPkMSLp8

dmesg
https://pastebin.com/ER4Ci9F9

igorvinicius.rt

Sun May 20, 2018 6:49 pm

Try it:

Code: Select all

sudo eopkg install --reinstall xorg-driver-input-libinput

dschinn1001

Sun May 20, 2018 9:55 pm

This is assumption:

The touchpad has inside Laptop (when you would open the case) a little flat cable. It could be that this cable is too wrinkled, when laptop was manufactured. (wrong built-in cable). Then touchpad has a "slack joint" (=wiggling contact).
Or simply this cable is inside too loose...

I would just use a mouse instead.

Return to “Hardware”