iancobb

Solus Net-Installer

Wed May 16, 2018 3:50 pm

Hello all,

I'm a hobbyist PC-builder and have been a Manjaro user for some time. I've recently built a pair of computers for friends with the intention of installing Linux-based operating systems on the machines. Even though Manjaro has been my go-to OS for some time, I felt that choosing an Arch-based distro for casual PC users with no Linux experience would be asking for problems. Distributions like Ubuntu and Mint--while having a great deal of support and resources--have their own... "issues". So, I decided to give Solus a try. I installed it on two systems: one with Budgie and the other with Gnome.

I liked it. I liked it enough that I'm planning on installing it on both my workstation and gaming build. However, one of the main selling points for Manjaro has been it's Architect installer. With a USB--that never needs to be updated--and an ethernet cable, I can install Manjaro with as many or as few packages as I'd like, with any of the 12+ desktops offered officially and by community (or without a desktop, should I choose the CLI option)... I can partition and mount the disk(s) however I'd like. Each install is as close to a custom build as my skills will allow. I can even repair a damaged system with it.

I'm wondering if there's any chance Solus might have a net-installer in its future. In my opinion, it makes for a smoother, faster, and more versatile install; it has also helped me to learn more about how Linux-based OS's work.

All feedback welcome.

Thanks much for all the hard work!

Ian C.

P.S. Also, I have to gripe about the fact that the software installer only allows for one installation at a time--or at least that's my understanding at this time. The ability to select multiple items to be installed and then installing all back-to-back would be appreciated!

kerry-s

Re: Solus Net-Installer

Wed May 16, 2018 11:25 pm

+1 net installer would be the perfect solution to those old outdated iso's.

the after install updates are almost as much as the iso's.

mrazster

Re: Solus Net-Installer

Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:19 am

Another wote for a netinstaller !
You get the most recent packages imideatly after install, and ready to go.

Return to “Ideas”