mw123

Boot from USB from multiple computers

Wed May 16, 2018 9:54 pm

I have just installed Solus to my USB drive, but it seems that it will only boot from one computer. In the installation, I chose to install the boot loader to an extra m.2 SSD I had ( thankfully, it was empty ). Well, actually, I had 2 USB drives - one with the Solus ISO to boot from and to install from, and another empty one to install to. I think this has to do with the boot loader. In other operating systems, this was not a problem. I have another USB drive with pop_os! installed on it, and it works on both computers. In the install menu, where it says a drive to install the boot loader in, only my internal hard drives show up. Can anyone help? Thanks!

kyrios

Re: Boot from USB from multiple computers

Wed May 16, 2018 11:13 pm

mw123 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:54 pm
I have just installed Solus to my USB drive, but it seems that it will only boot from one computer. In the installation, I chose to install the boot loader to an extra m.2 SSD I had ( thankfully, it was empty ). Well, actually, I had 2 USB drives - one with the Solus ISO to boot from and to install from, and another empty one to install to. I think this has to do with the boot loader. In other operating systems, this was not a problem. I have another USB drive with pop_os! installed on it, and it works on both computers. In the install menu, where it says a drive to install the boot loader in, only my internal hard drives show up. Can anyone help? Thanks!

You have to install Solus on Legacy (BIOS) mode so you can select the bootloader location (on your usb drive).
When you install Solus in UEFI mode, the installer won't let you chose the bootloader location

mw123

Re: Boot from USB from multiple computers

Sat May 19, 2018 7:12 pm

What's the difference between BIOS and UEFI?

Return to “Installation”