Hi

F3Spirit

Hi

Thu May 24, 2018 9:43 am

I make 3D Art and Design and interested in Computers since I'm young.

I used to have Windows but my worries about the direction Microsoft is taking (Killing MeGoo with the Nokia Deal, Windows 10, ...) got me to dual boot Mint for around two years now.

After starting my little 3D Art and Design Studio in 2017 I began searching for a stable, rolling Linux Distro to make it my daily driver and to stop dual booting for higher stability.

I tested Manjaro and found it to be to unstable and therefor to risky as a workhorse.

Now I'm testing Solus because programs I use daily like:
  • Blender,
    Firefox,
    Steam (for Substance Painter and Designer)
    Krita,
    Inkscape,
    Firefox,
    Chrome,
    Dropbox,
    Libre Office
all seam to work fine and are up to date so far.

I still have to:
  • Get a good Windows 8.1 virtualization to work for (Affinity Photo and Designer) with Drag n Drop and all that jazz.
    Get Google Drive to work
    Get UE4 and Unity to work
    Get my Brother DCP 7060D printer to work.
    Need to find out why Solus is getting slower and how to fix it.(I tested a lot of stuff, and have a lot off dependent packages now floating around) .
    Why some Notifications are not fully visible, and not clickable. For example "..ervice is not running. Exiting."
    How to make a Back Up Point
    Get the proprietary Nvidia Drivers to work
I like so far:
  • how beautiful and simple Solus is out of the box
    How stable it seams to be for a rolling release
    How up to date the packages are that I need for my work unlike in LMDE I also considered for example.
    I'm not a programmer, but the clean packages seams to me to be a promising way moving forward. I expect Solus to grow and become a major Distro because of it. That is important for me because I'm not a Distro hopper I want a machine to work on not to work on getting a machine to work basically.
I don't like:
  • That it is much harder to find good new User tutorials for basic stuff (Like you have tones of for Mint for example)
    That some new user functionality is missing, like searching for unused packages an deleting them (because as a newbie I have to test out a lot to get the hang of the system).
For the time being I will get on your nerves with newbie questions to figure it all out. And English is not my mother tong you already probably noticed. :mrgreen:
Intel Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 v3 @ 3.30GHz × 8
EVGA GeForce GTX 780
31.4 GiB
64-bit

zuntaruk

Re: Hi

Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:23 am

First of all, welcome to the Solus community! I'm new to the forum, but I myself have played with Solus every once in a while over the past year or so. Just made it my daily driver a week ago.

For virtualization I'd check out using virt-manager (backend = libvirt/KVM).

What do you mean when you say "get Google Drive to work"?

What issues are you running into with the Brother printer?

For the Nvidia proprietary drivers, what issues are you seeing? Which drivers did you install?

Marsanghas

Re: Hi

Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:42 am

Hi! Have you found out about the not fully readable notifications? I have the exact same notification "..ervice is not running. Exiting." and I would really like to know which ervice is not running :-P

Return to “Introduce Yourself”