PC-TECH

Timeshift

Mon May 28, 2018 7:37 pm

Hello

Is getting Timeshift in the official repository a possibility? It comes pre-installed on Linux Mint. I like the idea of having the ability to take "snap-shots" of the system, to make restore points

Thanks
Mark

gevera

Re: Timeshift

Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:27 pm

I consider Timeshift to be a really nifty tool. I believe it could be used as a factory reset/powerwash tool as well. The only thing that has to be done for that, after a fresh install is to create a snapshot. It could be called Default Factory Image.

kiba999

Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:56 am

I am quite surprised this thread hasn't received more community attention. Timeshift is perhaps the best application of this sort now available on Linux, and it is an eminently reasonable choice for inclusion as installed by default on the liveUSB, as the Mint developers have done. After all, this allows the live environment to be used as an offline restore disk, which is an incredible feature, and it's incredibly convenient to set up restore points or redeploy preconfigured systems for people with identical hardware. I think the Solus 4 authorities should definitely consider Timeshift installed by default. It's not enough to have it available in the repos for post-installs, since, currently, the official Timeshift installer has dependencies that are inconvenient to install offline. At any rate, it's an excellent well-maintained app for normal every-day usage.

csreindeer

Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:23 pm

I agree, I was looking for time-shift because to be honest, I like to break things sometimes, tweak things. So a back up tool like that would be infinitely valuable.
Stupid people are like the halting problem, no one knows if they will stop.

mrazster

Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:36 am

I agree Timeshift would be nice !
But there is Deja-Dup in the repos...also a good backuptool somewhat similar to Timeshift.
And also a couple of other backuptools.

You could do a packagerequest...and if there are enough request for it the devs might listen and include Timeshift in the future.

Return to “Ideas”