xyzdig

How to install a specific theme

Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:28 am

So I've been trying to install the Vimix theme on GNOME and I just can't get it to work. Copying and pasting the files doesn't work, apparently I need to run some sort of installer, which I assume is the file called "Install". What I did was open the terminal in the directory where the files are located and tried a bunch of commands to run the file, but none of them worked. Most of the time it says "No such file or directory". I know basically nothing about Linux or programming so I have a hard time understanding the info I find. Please help?

BradHeff

Re: How to install a specific theme

Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:08 am

you are obviously talking about the theme from Github, when getting programs or even themes from github you really need to read the instructions. They are clear and they tell you exactly what and how to install.
from GitHub [Vimix-gtk-theme] wrote: Install Or Uninstall

Open the terminal at current directory.

Run

Code: Select all

./Vimix-installer

xyzdig

Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:12 am

BradHeff wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:08 am
you are obviously talking about the theme from Github, when getting programs or even themes from github you really need to read the instructions. They are clear and they tell you exactly what and how to install.
from GitHub [Vimix-gtk-theme] wrote: Install Or Uninstall

Open the terminal at current directory.

Run

Code: Select all

./Vimix-installer
Yeah, that's what I've been trying but it didn't work. I made some progress though, the command that works is './Install' but it still doesn't install it. It says:
Installing Vimix...

cp: cannot stat 'Vimix*': No such file or directory

Installation complete!
But obviously it doesn't install it. I think I have to edit something in the code, but I'm not sure what. When it says 'DEST_DIR="$HOME/.themes' I changed it for the directory I have the folders in, but I get the same result, so I'm not sure.

This is the code:
#! /bin/bash

ROOT_UID=0
DEST_DIR=

# Destination directory
if [ "$UID" -eq "$ROOT_UID" ]; then
DEST_DIR="/usr/share/themes"
else
DEST_DIR="$HOME/.themes"
fi

rm -rf $DEST_DIR/Vimix*
echo -e "\nInstalling Vimix..."
# Copying files
cp -a Vimix* $DEST_DIR
echo -e "\nInstallation complete!"

BradHeff

Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:48 am

I just installed the theme and needed no changes. If you run without sudo it will install $HOME/.themes but if you run with sudo it will be installed /usr/share/themes

I ran with sudo and worked fine. i did this cos i do not have a .themes directory on my HOME folder. maybe thats your issue.

Download the source again and extract it and try again from scratch. nothing should have to be changed. its only a theme.

this is were i got the theme from https://github.com/vinceliuice/vimix-gt ... s/releases

when it asked do you want to set the theme now? i chose No as i change themes in budgie settings.

xyzdig

Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:13 pm

BradHeff wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:48 am
I just installed the theme and needed no changes. If you run without sudo it will install $HOME/.themes but if you run with sudo it will be installed /usr/share/themes

I ran with sudo and worked fine. i did this cos i do not have a .themes directory on my HOME folder. maybe thats your issue.

Download the source again and extract it and try again from scratch. nothing should have to be changed. its only a theme.

this is were i got the theme from https://github.com/vinceliuice/vimix-gt ... s/releases

when it asked do you want to set the theme now? i chose No as i change themes in budgie settings.
Oh. I figured it out. It worked when I used sudo. My themes folder was in home/.local/share/themes because I put another theme there last time and it worked. I remember I also pasted the folders in usr/share/themes, so I think it worked because of that. Thank you very much for the help :D

Return to “Tutorials”