Sevik
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:59 pm

Cant boot Solus from usb (XPS 15 9570)

Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:13 pm

Hi

Some months ago I installed Solus on my old notebook and was very happy with it. I recently bought a new notebook (the XPS 15, 9570) and want to install Solus on it. However, I can't even boot the live usb.

What I did:
- set something about the drive from raid to ahci
- disabled secure boot
- booted from the usb stick

I get the message: nouveau [...] Xorg[865]: failed to idle channel 2 [[Xorg[865]]
(see attachment)

I can boot from the other notebook woth the same usb stick without problems.

I guess there is a problem with the nvidia graphic card but I have no idea how o solvte this problem.

Help is higly appreciated.

Thanks
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (151.6 KiB) Viewed 313 times

User avatar
kyrios
Posts: 2070
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:20 pm

Re: Cant boot Solus from usb (XPS 15 9570)

Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:38 pm

Sevik wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:13 pm
Hi

Some months ago I installed Solus on my old notebook and was very happy with it. I recently bought a new notebook (the XPS 15, 9570) and want to install Solus on it. However, I can't even boot the live usb.

What I did:
- set something about the drive from raid to ahci
- disabled secure boot
- booted from the usb stick

I get the message: nouveau [...] Xorg[865]: failed to idle channel 2 [[Xorg[865]]
(see attachment)

I can boot from the other notebook woth the same usb stick without problems.

I guess there is a problem with the nvidia graphic card but I have no idea how o solvte this problem.

Help is higly appreciated.

Thanks
Try to add nouveau.modeset=0 to the kernel parameters for the installation time

Sevik
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:59 pm

Re: Cant boot Solus from usb (XPS 15 9570)

Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:00 pm

Thank you for your answer.

What is the best way to achieve this? I tried to get to the console with alt-ctrl-f2 bit it didn't come up.

Sevik
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:59 pm

Re: Cant boot Solus from usb (XPS 15 9570)

Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:23 pm

Sevik wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:00 pm
Thank you for your answer.

What is the best way to achieve this? I tried to get to the console with alt-ctrl-f2 bit it didn't come up.
Got it: By pressing "e" in Solus boot menu.

nouveau.modset=0 did not work but "nomodeset". I could install and update the system but it acts strange. After a restart I came to the login screen, after login only a black screen. Now I dont' even see the login screen.

Edit: I noticed, that maybe I tried with nouveau.modset instead of nouveau.modeset. I try to reinstall it again.
Edit2: Installation worked. First login took 1min. System freezed when I tried to restart the device.

User avatar
kyrios
Posts: 2070
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:20 pm

Re: Cant boot Solus from usb (XPS 15 9570)

Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:44 pm

After install perform a full system update with

Code: Select all

sudo eopkg up
Then you have to decide if you want to use the Intel or the Nvidia gpu

dschinn1001
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:31 pm

Re: Cant boot Solus from usb (XPS 15 9570)

Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:37 pm

Hello ?

Is there uefi-bios enabled ? (which *.iso have you installed on usb-stick ? Gnome ? or Budgie ? or ... )

Look after Bios-Settings when booting your machine, then press 'F2' or 'F12' (better F2).

In Bios there is somewhere adjusted to "uefi" - you should disable uefi and enable "legacy".

And before you exit bios - check the usb settings in bios, look if usb-stick is recognized (sure it is recognized).
USB should be enabled in Bios-Settings too.

Happy installing.

User avatar
kyrios
Posts: 2070
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:20 pm

Re: Cant boot Solus from usb (XPS 15 9570)

Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:54 pm

dschinn1001 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:37 pm
Hello ?

Is there uefi-bios enabled ? (which *.iso have you installed on usb-stick ? Gnome ? or Budgie ? or ... )

Look after Bios-Settings when booting your machine, then press 'F2' or 'F12' (better F2).

In Bios there is somewhere adjusted to "uefi" - you should disable uefi and enable "legacy".

And before you exit bios - check the usb settings in bios, look if usb-stick is recognized (sure it is recognized).
USB should be enabled in Bios-Settings too.

Happy installing.
Huh why switching to legacy ?
I have a XPS 15 9560 (same machine but the model of last year) and I boot Solus in UEFI mode without any issue.

Sevik
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:59 pm

Re: Cant boot Solus from usb (XPS 15 9570)

Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:07 am

For the record, tis worked for me:

Boot from usb, in boot menu hit "e" and append

Code: Select all

nouveau.modeset=0
.
After first "real" boot:

Code: Select all

echo 'nouveau.modeset=0' | sudo tee /etc/kernel/cmdline
sudo clr-boot-manager update
sudo eopkg up
There is a comment on REddit on how to turn off the nvidia card:
https://www.reddit.com/r/SolusProject/c ... ?context=3

See also:
https://www.reddit.com/r/SolusProject/c ... s_15_9570/

dschinn1001
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:31 pm

Re: Cant boot Solus from usb (XPS 15 9570)

Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:28 am

Hello Kyrios,

I only know, that some machines dont boot Linux, when UEFI in BIOS-settings is enabled.

Instead Linux boots only, when modus LEGACY is enabled.

I dont know exactly why, but one or two years ago, there was different grub... ?!

Greetz
Val.

User avatar
kyrios
Posts: 2070
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:20 pm

Re: Cant boot Solus from usb (XPS 15 9570)

Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:58 am

dschinn1001 wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:28 am
Hello Kyrios,

I only know, that some machines dont boot Linux, when UEFI in BIOS-settings is enabled.

Instead Linux boots only, when modus LEGACY is enabled.

I dont know exactly why, but one or two years ago, there was different grub... ?!

Greetz
Val.
Nope Solus supports both (with secure boot disabled)

Return to “Installation”