SOLUS_INVICTUS

Installation : 'Advanced Option' shows only the NFTS partitions not LVM XFS & BtrFS one [SOLVED]

Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:33 pm

Hello,

I've a family's Laptop used for gaming, web nav. & watching TV (NETFLIX, ...).
It was working first in dual-boot : Windows 10, UBUNTU 17.04 '''LTS''' (300Go & 680Go) then in trial-boot : Windows 10, openSuSE LEAP15, FEDORA 28 GAMES (300Go, 250Go & 300Go).
Sorry for this long intro, it is just to explain that I had no PB partitionnig disks ...
Since Solus... :(

I decided to replace openSuSE running so slowly by Solus ( which is running so fast on my Transformer Book ! )

I've tried everything** : The installer always ask to install Solus alongside Windows 10 by reducing Windows 10 partition !
( **except formating all linux partitions in NTFS & expanding disk to 1To from Windows before installation )

1) Direct install :
I tried to install directly from Live USB stick : it proposed to reduce Windows 10 partition.

2) Deleting openSuSE partitions using cfdisk :
As openSuSE as an Btrfs & XFS partitions, I rebooted from Live USB stick used terminal sudo cfdisk :
First I've Deleteed the openSuSE's partitions and in a second time I've format them in LVM..
At the reboot, the installer proposed each time to reduce Windows 10 partition...

3) Deleting FEDORA partitions using cfdisk :
Then I've Deleted the FEDORA's partitions and in a second time I've format them in NFTS ( why not )
At the reboot, the installer still proposed each time to reduce Windows 10 partition...

4) As Windows 10 is never used on that system I've ask to the installer to use the Full Disk !
Everything is 'ok' now ...

My ( important ) question :
I want to install Solus for Fun & ( Python + Arduino dvpt ) on 3 Laptops running windows and other Linux : I Need each time to keep CentOS & Windows 10 for professional purpose.

How can I proceed to select manually the Deleted partitions ( 5Go Swap, 50 Go system & 110Go Home ) for the installation of Solus ?
As on 'Advanced Option' we can only see & select the NFTS partitions...

Thanks for your Help,
Best regards
Last edited by SOLUS_INVICTUS on Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.

kyrios

Re: INSTALLATION : 'Advanced Option' SHOWS ONLY THE NFTS PARTITIONS NOT LVM XFS & BTRFS ONE

Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:06 pm

SOLUS_INVICTUS wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:33 pm
Hello,

I've a family's Laptop used for gaming, web nav. & watching TV (NETFLIX, ...).
It was working first in dual-boot : Windows 10, UBUNTU 17.04 '''LTS''' (300Go & 680Go) then in trial-boot : Windows 10, openSuSE LEAP15, FEDORA 28 GAMES (300Go, 250Go & 300Go).
Sorry for this long intro, it is just to explain that I had no PB partitionnig disks ...
Since Solus... :(

I decided to replace openSuSE running so slowly by Solus ( which is running so fast on my Transformer Book ! )

I've tried everything** : The installer always ask to install Solus alongside Windows 10 by reducing Windows 10 partition !
( **except formating all linux partitions in NTFS & expanding disk to 1To from Windows before installation )

1) Direct install :
I tried to install directly from Live USB stick : it proposed to reduce Windows 10 partition.

2) Deleting openSuSE partitions using cfdisk :
As openSuSE as an Btrfs & XFS partitions, I rebooted from Live USB stick used terminal sudo cfdisk :
First I've Deleteed the openSuSE's partitions and in a second time I've format them in LVM..
At the reboot, the installer proposed each time to reduce Windows 10 partition...

3) Deleting FEDORA partitions using cfdisk :
Then I've Deleted the FEDORA's partitions and in a second time I've format them in NFTS ( why not )
At the reboot, the installer still proposed each time to reduce Windows 10 partition...

4) As Windows 10 is never used on that system I've ask to the installer to use the Full Disk !
Everything is 'ok' now ...

My ( important ) question :

I want to install Solus for Fun & ( Python + Arduino dvpt ) on 3 Laptops running windows and other Linux : I Need each time to keep CentOS & Windows 10 for professional purpose.

How can I proceed to select manually the Deleted partitions ( 5Go Swap, 50 Go system & 110Go Home ) for the installation of Solus ?
As on 'Advanced Option' we can only see & select the NFTS partitions...

Thanks for your Help,
Best regards
Just create the partitions first formatted in ext4 then run the installer and select the following option.

SOLUS_INVICTUS

Re: INSTALLATION : 'Advanced Option' SHOWS ONLY THE NFTS PARTITIONS NOT LVM XFS & BTRFS ONE

Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:39 pm

Thanks a lot for your reply,
I will try this solution.

Best regards

SOLUS_INVICTUS

Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:16 pm

Hello,
Works perfect !
I REPLACED SUCCESSFULLY MY FEDORA 28 ON MY THIRD NOTEBOOK :
  • I used CFDISK to Delete ( in few seconds ) all FEDORA's Partitions,
  • I used CFDISK to create ( in few seconds ) 3 partitions ( 8Go for Swap, 60Go for root, 60 Go for Home ),
  • I used GPARTED to format the 3 partitions in ext4 ( amazingly slow compare to CFDISK ! ),
  • I used SOLUS installer to easily determine the role of each partitions,
EVERYTHING IS OK : STILL IN DUAL BOOT WITH WINDOWS 10 PRESERVED !
( but may be quite a little tricky for a fisrt time's installation ).

Thanks again for your help,
Best regards.

Return to “Installation”