OsoB

Excited to use Solus

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:44 pm

Hi, I'm newly introduced to Solus but personally running other Linux platforms in a software house environment for twelve years. I'm attracted to Solus' desktop presentation primarily.

I noted that the Solus installation offered me only a very limited choice of keyboards and languages and most importantly no UK-keyboard option, which surprised me rather. I wondered if I had downloaded an incorrect version perhaps?

Also as I'm running in VirtualBox in order to try Solus first, I wanted to install the VirtualBox guest additions, since I have no other means of copying files to and from shared virtual folders. However, when I looked at the software centre and chose the VirtualBox Guest Additions, with the required dependencies also, it didn't appear to have made any difference to my test platform and I still couldn't take advantage of the full-sized screen, nor shared folders. I'm doubtful the guest additions installed correctly in fact, although it appears now in the software centre with the option to "uninstall". Any others have this experience, as it's a bit of a deal breaker. Thanks.
Attachments
20180610 Solus evaluation, non-UK support 3.JPG
20180610 Solus evaluation, non-UK support 3.JPG (98.32 KiB) Viewed 84 times

kyrios

Re: Excited to use Solus

Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:29 pm

OsoB wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:44 pm
Hi, I'm newly introduced to Solus but personally running other Linux platforms in a software house environment for twelve years. I'm attracted to Solus' desktop presentation primarily.

I noted that the Solus installation offered me only a very limited choice of keyboards and languages and most importantly no UK-keyboard option, which surprised me rather. I wondered if I had downloaded an incorrect version perhaps?

Also as I'm running in VirtualBox in order to try Solus first, I wanted to install the VirtualBox guest additions, since I have no other means of copying files to and from shared virtual folders. However, when I looked at the software centre and chose the VirtualBox Guest Additions, with the required dependencies also, it didn't appear to have made any difference to my test platform and I still couldn't take advantage of the full-sized screen, nor shared folders. I'm doubtful the guest additions installed correctly in fact, although it appears now in the software centre with the option to "uninstall". Any others have this experience, as it's a bit of a deal breaker. Thanks.

I think the regional settings/keyboard are the gnome ones. Could you go back and show the keyboard selection screen ?
Regarding virtualbox, you have to install virtualbox-guest-current and you also need to add your user as member of the vboxsf group in the Solus VM. You'll probably find this page useful.

OsoB

Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:39 pm

kyrios wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:29 pm
I think the regional settings/keyboard are the gnome ones. Could you go back and show the keyboard selection screen ?
Regarding virtualbox, you have to install virtualbox-guest-current and you also need to add your user as member of the vboxsf group in the Solus VM. You'll probably find this page useful.
Many thanks kyrios, apologies for the omitted screen examples. I attached three installation screen images with my post, but only the 3rd image appears in the post. Below is the first image. Thank you for the pointers on VirtualBox, I'll take a look at that and doubtless get much further with that, from your help.
Attachments
20180610 Solus evaluation, non-UK support 3 (1).JPG
20180610 Solus evaluation, non-UK support 3 (1).JPG (69.61 KiB) Viewed 79 times

OsoB

Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:41 pm

Further image attached also, many thanks for your input. Apologies for our scrawly text in the images.
Attachments
20180610 Solus evaluation, non-UK support 3 (2).JPG
20180610 Solus evaluation, non-UK support 3 (2).JPG (74.82 KiB) Viewed 78 times

Lorien

Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:49 pm

Try clicking on the 3 vertical dots under "Arabic (Egypt)", in the first language selection screenshot you posted.

OsoB

Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:30 pm

Lorien wrote:
Try clicking on the 3 vertical dots under "Arabic (Egypt)", in the first language selection screenshot you posted.
Yes! That's it thanks very much. I've never seen that approach before, to only show part of a list until clicking somethiing! I never saw that icon, amazing. In fact my colleague was having a try with this at the weekend and he didn't see it either. Anyway, thanks very much.

kyrios

Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:28 pm

OsoB wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:30 pm
Lorien wrote:
Yes! That's it thanks very much. I've never seen that approach before, to only show part of a list until clicking somethiing! I never saw that icon, amazing. In fact my colleague was having a try with this at the weekend and he didn't see it either. Anyway, thanks very much.
Some may say Solus is only for geeks with glasses :geek:

Return to “Installation”