mrazster

Hi guys ! <3

Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:18 pm

Hi guys, Michael here, from Sweden ! :)
Really excited about Solus and looking forward to beeing apart of the community.

OK..so a little history then.

My absolute first contact with linux was Red Hat 5.2, back in the day..I think it was around 98 or so.
But back then nothing about linux was easy to me. So I went back and forward thru the years beteween windows and linux.
Later on (2000 ->) I also did some "Hackintosh" builds..because I reeeally wanted to leave windows behind me. So when Ubuntu released version 5.10 in 2005 I came in contact with it the first time. And everything just worked..right after the install...it was amazing to me! But as I am a photographer and also enjoy gaming I keept going back to windows, because linux lacked the software I needed back then. But around that time I built my self a HTPC and installed Ubuntu 5.10 on it. Since then my HTPC (in its different forms) has always had some distro of linux installed(mostly some flavour of ubuntu). That way I keept learning and playing around with it...whilst having windows on my main rigg. During this time I always keept an eye on how gaming and photoeditingsoftware was progressing in the world of linux.

Some time around 2014-15 I decided to make the switch once and for all. At this point I feelt that all my software needs where meet and I could just as easily get everything done i linux as in windows with some additional learing of software e.t.c. Since then I have always been using Xuuntu, because Unity is imho just, well....WRONG ! But that's just me and my opinion...every man/woman to his/hers own. Lately I have been growing weary of canonical and it feels like they do weird stuff and take strange turns at every crossing. Wich for me has resulted in feeling like ubuntu and most of the "ubuntu flavours" are getting bloated, and leaving kind of a bad taste in my mouth. Since I'm a person who like my OS sleek and kind of "streamlined" and fast/responsive I have always been trying to get as much as possible out of my computers, with overclocking and tweaking. At times I have been competing in overclocking using phasechangecooling and LN2, on the international arena. So when I look for a OS to run as my daliy driver I prefer distros where I feel the developers intentions and directions are heading in the same way as mine, making the distro fast, responsive and not to bloated with crapy software and bad/dirty fixes. But at the same time functional and easy to use.

As I pointed out before, lately canonical/ubuntu have been leaving a bad taste for me and since I planed to do a hardware upgrade late last year I started to look around for another distro to switch to. After doing some "distrohoping", reading and youtubeing for a couple of months I decided earlier this year(february) that Solus Gnome was the one I'm going for. Tried ot out both Mate and Budgie, but decided that Gnome was the one to go with for my workstation/gaming rigg. I have also switched my other computers to Solus, Budgie on the HTPC and Mate on the laptop.

When I find stuff that I like and it fitts my needs I tend to stick with it...so I plan to stick around for the foreseeable future ! :)

Yeay, yeah...I know...it turned out to be a wall of text ! ;) :mrgreen:
Last edited by mrazster on Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

robgriff444

Re: Hi guys ! <3

Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:17 am

HA! You're as talkative as me! Interesting 'wall of text'.... Nice!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”