Jman

Solus won't boot with to the latest kernel (4.9.x)

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:13 am

Hi.

I am trying to install and run Virtualbox on my Solus Budgie machine.
When trying to run a virtual machine Virtualbox failed, after some investigation i noticed that I was booted in to an old kernel (4.17).

I rebooted and chosed the latest 4.9 kernel in the list, only to be greeted by a blinking cursor. My guess it that my Nvidia drivers (390.67.251) won't support this kernel, but this is really out of my field, so if anyone has any idea it would be much appreciated.

kyrios

Re: Solus won't boot with to the latest kernel (4.9.x)

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:49 am

Jman wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:13 am
Hi.

I am trying to install and run Virtualbox on my Solus Budgie machine.
When trying to run a virtual machine Virtualbox failed, after some investigation i noticed that I was booted in to an old kernel (4.17).

I rebooted and chosed the latest 4.9 kernel in the list, only to be greeted by a blinking cursor. My guess it that my Nvidia drivers (390.67.251) won't support this kernel, but this is really out of my field, so if anyone has any idea it would be much appreciated.

Do you have problems with virtualbox host or guest ?u
FYI instructions are available on the help center.

You can't install nvidia drivers on a guest machine as it uses a virtual gpu.

The main things you have to pay attention are
  • Make sure you boot on the latest available version of the kernel and your system is up-to-date
  • Make sure to install the packages matching your kernel "current" (4.17.x) or "lts" (4.9.x). This also apply for the nvidia driver on the host machine.

PS: There is currently a bug with the mouse focus that affects the guest machines running the "current" kernel. It will be fixed with the next kernel update (the virtual machines running the "lts" kernel are not impacted by this bug).

Jman

Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:04 pm

Ok I solved the problem.
The reason the the system wouldn't boot is because I hadn't installed the nvidia-glx-driver for the LTS kernel (so obvious when you know it).
There were so many Nvidia drivers to choose from that I didn't take my time and read the description on them, most of the drivers are old 340 which didn't apply to me, leaving only one viable option: "nvidia-glx-driver" (Nvidia Binay driver LTS Kernel).

After installing the driver the reboot worked.
Thank you!

Robotmike

Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:14 am

kyrios wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:49 am
PS: There is currently a bug with the mouse focus that affects the guest machines running the "current" kernel. It will be fixed with the next kernel update (the virtual machines running the "lts" kernel are not impacted by this bug).
Thanks for this hint. 4.16.15-76 is working, 4.17.3-81 no more. The mouse behaviour confused me.

Return to “Hardware”