ektoutie

dracut timeout boot failure

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:42 pm

Hi,

I've been happily using Solus as my daily driver on my MacBook Air (11" A1465, early 2015) for a good long while now, but started running into a boot failure a few weeks ago after running system updates.

After selecting Solus from rEFInd, I end up with just a flashing cursor on a black screen for 10-15 seconds, followed by spammy output of "dracut-initqueue timeout - starting timeout scripts" every second or so for a minute, maybe a minute and a half, ending with

Code: Select all

Could not boot: /dev/disk/by-partuuid/etcetc does not exist
Generating "/run/initramfs/rdsosreport.txt"
I do not end up at a dracut shell after this; the machine just hangs instead. Booting off a live USB shows that the disk with the UUID shown in the message does indeed exist and is the Linux root partition on the internal SSD as it should be.

When this first happened, I "fixed" this by booting off a Solus live USB, chrooting to my installed system and manually regenerating the init ramdisk for the latest installed kernel with dracut. However the only effect of this was that the new kernel now failed to boot entirely, causing goofiboot to offer me booting the previous installed kernel instead which does work.

I had assumed that the next round of system updates with a new kernel would run dracut with appropriate settings to fix things properly. However, instead it has restored the previous state where goofiboot tries to load the most recent kernel and runs into the dracut initqueue timeout instead.

Can someone guide me towards info on how to properly fix my dracut setup so I can boot my system normally again?

Thanks!

Return to “Other Questions”