Sonka

Potential New User (Hi!)

Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:49 pm

Hey, my name is Kye and I'm 18 years old (19 next month, woop!) and have finally decided to switch to Linux (I have seen the light!). I have done a lot of research going into this because I really don't want my laptop to blow up into 142,678 pieces (very specific I know). I am down to two distros, Solus and Ubuntu 18.04 Bungie. I am almost certain I want to use Solus as my first distro, but I have some questions I was hoping could get answers, I'd really appreciate it!

1# I plan to buy a Dell XPS 13 (9370) Developer Edition. I want to ask Dell to swap out the Killer Wireless Card for an Intel AC 9260. Will is hardware be compatible with Solus out of the box?

2# I have had basically no experience with installing a new OS from a USB or partitioning drives, etc (but, I am more than competent enough to figure it out). How would I go about removing Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and replacing it with Solus?

3# In in future, I also plan to use an eGPU with some form of AMD graphics card. How well does Solus handle external graphics?

I don't know if I've posted this in the right section, if not, I'm sorry... T_T

I hope I'm not being difficult or anything, and thank you for your time! ^_^"

kyrios

Re: Potential New User (Hi!)

Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:05 am

Sonka wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:49 pm
Hey, my name is Kye and I'm 18 years old (19 next month, woop!) and have finally decided to switch to Linux (I have seen the light!). I have done a lot of research going into this because I really don't want my laptop to blow up into 142,678 pieces (very specific I know). I am down to two distros, Solus and Ubuntu 18.04 Bungie. I am almost certain I want to use Solus as my first distro, but I have some questions I was hoping could get answers, I'd really appreciate it!

1# I plan to buy a Dell XPS 13 (9370) Developer Edition. I want to ask Dell to swap out the Killer Wireless Card for an Intel AC 9260. Will is hardware be compatible with Solus out of the box?

2# I have had basically no experience with installing a new OS from a USB or partitioning drives, etc (but, I am more than competent enough to figure it out). How would I go about removing Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and replacing it with Solus?

3# In in future, I also plan to use an eGPU with some form of AMD graphics card. How well does Solus handle external graphics?

I don't know if I've posted this in the right section, if not, I'm sorry... T_T

I hope I'm not being difficult or anything, and thank you for your time! ^_^"

If your two options are Solus and Ubuntu Bungie, you'll choose the first one for sure because the 2nd one does not exists (it's Ubuntu Budgie) :mrgreen:

Seriously, regarding your questions:

1# I read many people complaining about the Killer wireless card, personally I have a Dell XPS 15 (9560) with the killer wifi chip and it works like a charm. This being said, Intel hardware is usually very well supported on linux, and the people who complain about the killer usually switch for the intel one and are happy.

2# You have 3 options, either you can install Solus alongside the pre-installed Ubuntu, you can replace Ubuntu with Solus or you can partition you drive manually before running the installer and assign the mount points (, swap and eventually /home) during the installation.

Note: It is strongly advised to read the doc before running the installer for the first time. Some things you should know: Set your SSD in AHCI mode if not yet done, disable Secure boot, make sure your EFI partition to 500Mb (if you make an EFI install as opposite to a BIOS/Legacy install).

3# I have no idea

Sonka

Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:31 pm

I didn’t notice the typo (Bungie/*Budgie), thank you for pointing it out, I feel silly.

1# On the XPS 13 the wireless card is soldered onto the motherboard, I’ve heard stories of people calling customer service and getting a customer order, but we shall see. *I’m presuming Intel hardware is well supported as the creator of Solus worked at Intel, or something along those lines?

2# I don’t completely know what you mean by your third point (hence the lack of experience); I’m not bothered about keeping Ubuntu on the laptop. In theory i’d like to replace it with Solus as the only distro on the computer, but I’m worried that I’ll do something wrong and end up with no OS at all or something. Would you be able to guide me through that process or point me in the right direction?

- Also, I believe some distros will partition your drive automatically when you install over another, is this true? And if it is, is this a thing Solus does?

- What are the benefits of manually partitioning my drive as opposed to just replacing Ubuntu?

- What’s the difference between the middle two options on the installer?

- If I’m not mistaken, is the point of a /home thing to keep all your data when you hop distros?

#3 I can’t find anything anywhere about external graphics with Solus, I’ll just have to do some experimenting when the time arises.

Thank you! ^^ (I’m sorry about all the questions, I have a fair amount more so please bare with me!)

kyrios

Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:51 pm

Sonka wrote:
1# On the XPS 13 the wireless card is soldered onto the motherboard, I’ve heard stories of people calling customer service and getting a customer order, but we shall see. *I’m presuming Intel hardware is well supported as the creator of Solus worked at Intel, or something along those lines?
Honestly, since Ubuntu is officially shipped/supported by this model, Solus will run on it smoothly. It is true that Canonical backport some hardware stacks to their kernel, but we run more recent kernel that they do so I wouldn't worry about that if I were you.
Sonka wrote:
2# I don’t completely know what you mean by your third point (hence the lack of experience); I’m not bothered about keeping Ubuntu on the laptop. In theory i’d like to replace it with Solus as the only distro on the computer, but I’m worried that I’ll do something wrong and end up with no OS at all or something. Would you be able to guide me through that process or point me in the right direction?

- Also, I believe some distros will partition your drive automatically when you install over another, is this true? And if it is, is this a thing Solus does?

- What are the benefits of manually partitioning my drive as opposed to just replacing Ubuntu?

- What’s the difference between the middle two options on the installer?

- If I’m not mistaken, is the point of a /home thing to keep all your data when you hop distros?
To summarize, there 3 first options in the screenshot are the "automatic" method, you just select one of the 3 options and the installer takes care of everything. The 4th option is a kind of "advanced/manual" mode where you can configure things yourself but of course it suppose that you have advanced knowledge. There aren't much benefits of using this mode to be honest: Solus doesn't offers a very large panel of advanced features during installation.

Normally your laptop should have a RECOVERY partition to allow you to reinstall your system from scratch in case of problem. Just make sure you have such a partition and select the option #2 (Replace existing Ubuntu installation with Solus). You can also check if you can download a factory image of for your laptop from Dell website (at least for windows you can do that). If so you may even want to use the option #3 (erase all content...). That's up to you.

Some people like to have a separated /home to place it on another disk (or even to load it remotely from a server but that's not really a "home" usage, to ease backups, to preserve personal documents & settings in case of re-installation, ...).
I would not advise to use the same home across multiple distributions because this will generate lot of rubbishes (you stop using a distro but all the settings & hidden files will remain) and you will soon or late run into problems for example if you use a same application on several distributions but each shipping a different version and things related to the config were changed in some version.
If you want to share files across multiple OS, the best is to share a drive (could be a NAS or a local partition on your internal disk).
Keep in mind that having separated / and /home also has some disadvantages. It is not uncommon to see messages from people who did under size one of the partition and still having plenty of space on the other partition.
My piece of advise : keep it simple, don't try to make some things just because you saw messages from people doing so. First focus on your experience, of getting used and comfortable with your system. Don't get lost into details that won't bring much added value. How many people are looking for moving the "Documents & Settings" folder on the D:\ (or whatever drive) ? This is the equivalent of /home and nobody cares and the OS still works !

Hope this is clear for you now :)

Sonka

Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:15 am

That cleared up a lot for me, thank you very much!

However, I do have a few more questions:

What do you mean by a factory image?

I understand that Solus isn’t currently able to delete dependencies when you uninstall software, I noticed (via Blog) that they will be adding this shorty. What command in the terminal would that be? *e.g. sudo eopkg ....... (?)*

I plan to use an external SSD to keep important things if I ever decide to switch distros, would that be more viable?

Do you think I’d be able to leave this thread open for a month (around August 11th), just Incase anything goes wrong when I actually get the laptop?

kyrios

Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:22 am

Sonka wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:15 am
That cleared up a lot for me, thank you very much!

However, I do have a few more questions:

What do you mean by a factory image?

I understand that Solus isn’t currently able to delete dependencies when you uninstall software, I noticed (via Blog) that they will be adding this shorty. What command in the terminal would that be? *e.g. sudo eopkg ....... (?)*

I plan to use an external SSD to keep important things if I ever decide to switch distros, would that be more viable?

Do you think I’d be able to leave this thread open for a month (around August 11th), just Incase anything goes wrong when I actually get the laptop?
In the older days, when restoration DVD were shipped with the laptops. Nowadays, to save a few money, this has been replaced by a "hidden" partition on the harddisk of the machine. Some manufacturers like Dell, allow users to download this image from their website. This is what I call a factory image.

Threads are very rarely locked on this forum. But I still advise you to make a new topic with the questions you may have when you'll get your machine (personal advise, don't ask too many questions at a time, because when it's too lengthy people tend to skip part of the message). Just wait for your machine, I am sure that half of your questions will be answered when you'll have the machine running in front of you :)

Sonka

Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:58 am

Thank you for the advice, I’ll keep that in mind.

I would like to ask one last question if that would be okay?

- What are the differences between Budgie and GNOME DEs? *I’d just like to find out what I can before doing it for real.

Thank you again, you’ve been very helpful. I really appreciate it!

kyrios

Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:32 am

Sonka wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:58 am
Thank you for the advice, I’ll keep that in mind.

I would like to ask one last question if that would be okay?

- What are the differences between Budgie and GNOME DEs? *I’d just like to find out what I can before doing it for real.

Thank you again, you’ve been very helpful. I really appreciate it!
The best is to search for reviews on the web/YouTube (check the date to not look at an old review) or even better download the Iso and either try the live mode or install it in a virtual machine.

Basically the ergonomy or Gnome & Budgie is very different (Budgie has more the look & feel of a classic desktop env.). Gnome uses a little more ressources.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”