klayveR

[SOLVED] Can't boot into Solus after installing it alongside Windows 10 (UEFI)

Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:50 am

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to install Solus alongside Windows 10 on my laptop (Acer Aspire E5-573G) on a single HDD. I decided to start from scratch. After a couple of failed tries and unbootable USB drives due to an outdated BIOS version, this is what I'm currently doing trying to succeed:

Installing Windows 10
I'm booting a Windows 10 USB drive in UEFI mode, secure boot disabled. Before I install Windows, I manually create an ESP partition that's 550mb with the diskpart utility. I then install Windows and leave about 300GB of unallocated space on the HDD for Solus.

Installing Solus
I download the Solus iso, verify the shasum and prepare the USB drive with Rufus. I choose the GPT partition scheme and make sure to use DD mode. I then boot the USB in UEFI mode and use GParted to create an ext4 filesystem and a linux-swap partition. During the installation, I manually choose those and when asked where the bootloader should be installed, I pick the ESP partition (/dev/sda2 in my case, which is the only option anyways).

After installation, the system reboots me directly into Windows. I have no option to boot Solus, so I checked for the Linux Boot Manager in my UEFI boot options, which I should have according to the Installation Issues article. To make sure I didn't miss anything in my BIOS, I checked out my boot options with the Windows tool EasyUEFI and it shows no Linux Boot Manager either. Here's an image showing what I'm getting after installing everything.

I feel like I'm missing something obvious here. On some forums and reddit posts I read something about an additional /boot partition, but as far as I understood, I don't need that with UEFI, correct me if I'm wrong. I followed the steps from the Boot Rescue article, but unfortunately that didn't change anything either.

If anyone of you has any suggestion to help me with this problem, I'd be extremely thankful as this has been an issue for the last two days now :(

Cheers,
klayveR
Last edited by klayveR on Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

dschinn1001

Re: Can't boot into Solus after installing it alongside Windows 10 (UEFI)

Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:41 pm

What do you mean ?

You cannot boot into Solus ?

Or is this a matter of correct Login ?

In case of Login - can this be ? - Windows 10 is set to US-keyboard, while your keyboard-settings of Solus were different than US ?

dschinn1001

Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:44 pm

Ouch, - have overseen - It is matter of Linux-boot-manager ... it can be that Windows reject Grub as boot-manager or refuse Linux
like this was at Windows XP in earlier years. Best thing is then no dual-boot. Try to install Linux on separated usb-hard-disk alone as Linux.

kyrios

Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:22 pm

klayveR wrote:
I download the Solus iso, verify the shasum and prepare the USB drive with Rufus. I choose the GPT partition scheme and make sure to use DD mode. I then boot the USB in UEFI mode and use GParted to create an ext4 filesystem and a linux-swap partition. During the installation, I manually choose those and when asked where the bootloader should be installed, I pick the ESP partition (/dev/sda2 in my case, which is the only option anyways).

I am surprised the installer let you choose where the bootloader location in EFI mode.

gohlip

Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:10 pm

klayveR wrote:
If anyone of you has any suggestion to help me with this problem,
There is a similar case with same computer make and model and the solution is to go to the bios-setup to fix it.
Here is the external link for the solution.
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/solved-dual ... 9?u=gohlip

klayveR

Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:16 am

kyrios wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:22 pm
I am surprised the installer let you choose where the bootloader location in EFI mode.

I might have worded that wrong. It doesn't really give me a choice, it's a dropdown below the hostname input field iirc. It defaults to the ESP partition and doesn't let me choose anything else. It's definitely booted in EFI mode.
gohlip wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:10 pm
There is a similar case with same computer make and model and the solution is to go to the bios-setup to fix it.
Here is the external link for the solution.
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/solved-dual ... 9?u=gohlip

This is indeed the solution, thank you very much! I also found this post on this forum, which pointed me in the right direction. I was able to finally set it up and after setting the timeout, everything works like a charm.

One thing that confused me was that when checking the boot entries with bcdedit, it actually had the Linux Boot Manager pointing to the goofiboot.efi in there, but it never showed up during boot. Weird.

This is solved, thanks for the help everyone :)

Return to “Installation”