Scratius

How To Install Broadcom B43 Drivers (b43-fwcutter)

Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:26 am

I installed the broadcom-sta package on a fully updated Solus 1.2 install, but the wifi still wasn't working on my old Dell Vostro 1500 Laptop. Here's what I did to get it working, in case it helps somebody else. This script doesn't require broadcom-sta ever having been installed, but if it was, it removes the blacklist of modprobe b43 that was preventing the new drivers from loading. It does need to be run as root. Again, I don't know if this is the right way to fix the problem, all I know is it worked for me.

http://hastebin.com/imuwawucid.tex

Here's where I got links from: http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43/

Wasn't sure which category to put this in, hardware or how to..
Last edited by Scratius on Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

linuxhelmet

Re: Broadcom B43 Drivers (b43-fwcutter)

Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:45 am

Glad to hear it worked for you! Maybe putting "How to install" in your subject might help others find this answer quicker as well?

eamonoc

Re: How To Install Broadcom B43 Drivers (b43-fwcutter)

Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:01 am

Scratius wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:26 am
I installed the broadcom-sta package on a fully updated Solus 1.2 install, but the wifi still wasn't working on my old Dell Vostro 1500 Laptop. Here's what I did to get it working, in case it helps somebody else. This script doesn't require broadcom-sta ever having been installed, but if it was, it removes the blacklist of modprobe b43 that was preventing the new drivers from loading. It does need to be run as root. Again, I don't know if this is the right way to fix the problem, all I know is it worked for me.

http://hastebin.com/imuwawucid.tex

Here's where I got links from: http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43/

Wasn't sure which category to put this in, hardware or how to..
Thank you so much I spent hours looking for a solution and this is the only thing that worked! I finally have WiFi, but when I reboot I have to rerun the modprobe b43 command in the terminal every time, is there a way to make it persistent? Thanks again!

KerfufflyKitty

Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:43 pm

eamonoc wrote:
Thank you so much I spent hours looking for a solution and this is the only thing that worked! I finally have WiFi, but when I reboot I have to rerun the modprobe b43 command in the terminal every time, is there a way to make it persistent? Thanks again!

The /etc/modules-load.d/ folder lets you do just that. :D Just do like this:

Code: Select all

echo "b43" | sudo tee /etc/modules-load.d/b43.conf

eamonoc

Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:17 pm

KerfufflyKitty wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:43 pm
eamonoc wrote:

The /etc/modules-load.d/ folder lets you do just that. :D Just do like this:

echo "b43" | sudo tee /etc/modules-load.d/b43.conf
Thank you so much, it worked perfectly! :)

ModdeyBane

Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:22 am

Hi there,

I was trying this myself since my laptop that I just installed Solus on has the Broadcom 4352 chip, and I still have no wifi even after installing the broadcom-sta-current package.

I ran the script given in the original post above, but it ended with the warning "modprobe: FATAL: Module wl not found", and sure enough, still no wifi after rebooting.

Does anyone have an idea of something else that might work? Or is there maybe a step I'm missing?

jxh01753

Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:47 pm

Can confirm that this script got things rolling on the Broadcom 4331 chip. Many thanks!
ModdeyBane wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:22 am
I ran the script given in the original post above, but it ended with the warning "modprobe: FATAL: Module wl not found", and sure enough, still no wifi after rebooting.

Does anyone have an idea of something else that might work? Or is there maybe a step I'm missing?

You might need to enable it by entering into a terminal (as root) -

modprobe b43

and check your wifi tab. Hope this helps!

ModdeyBane

Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:04 pm

Unfortunately that didn't work, but what did work, that I stumbled across in another thread, was this:
KerfufflyKitty wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:19 am
This seems to be a common theme with the Broadcom drivers. Try this:

cd
sudo echo "install wl /sbin/modprobe cfg80211; /sbin/insmod /lib/modules/\$(/bin/uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/wl.ko" > hackboot.conf
sudo mv hackboot.conf /etc/modprobe.d/
sudo echo "wl" > wl.conf
sudo mv wl.conf /etc/modules-load.d/
Then restart the computer or run sudo modprobe wl. :)
Wifi is working perfectly now! It was a little tricky but we got there. Now to somehow learn enough about bash scripting that I can understand what I actually did... ;)

Thanks, everybody!

jhindiguius

Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:28 am

Can you post the script somewhere other than hastebin? It's currently giving 503 unavailable errors and I don't have the script saved :D

Return to “Hardware”