bvpainter
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:35 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Snap

Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:39 pm

Pardon my ignorance, but I have read that Solus 3 now includes Snap, a new way of installing applications, but I can find no trace of it in my installation.

Can anyone explain what Snap is and how I can use it.

User avatar
kyrios
Posts: 1926
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:20 pm

Re: Snap

Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:51 pm

bvpainter wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:39 pm
Pardon my ignorance, but I have read that Solus 3 now includes Snap, a new way of installing applications, but I can find no trace of it in my installation.

Can anyone explain what Snap is and how I can use it.
See here or here :geek:

bvpainter
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:35 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Snap

Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:26 pm

Thanks for the information. So it is purely a command line application, with a limited number of applications in Solus.

User avatar
kyrios
Posts: 1926
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:20 pm

Re: Snap

Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:52 pm

bvpainter wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:26 pm
Thanks for the information. So it is purely a command line application, with a limited number of applications in Solus.
At the moment, snaps can only be installed via the command line, but on the long term, it will be integrated to the software center.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/solus-li ... 7355.shtml

User avatar
Craig-toyoracer
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:29 am

Re: Snap

Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:58 am

Here are a few Snap apps. :lol:


https://uappexplorer.com/snaps

Michiel
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:44 pm
Location: near Apeldoorn, NL
Contact: Twitter

Re: Snap

Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:52 am

kyrios wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:52 pm
bvpainter wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:26 pm
Thanks for the information. So it is purely a command line application, with a limited number of applications in Solus.
At the moment, snaps can only be installed via the command line, but on the long term, it will be integrated to the software center.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/solus-li ... 7355.shtml
Hi,

I practiced with this and installed the nextcloud-client via CLI.
However it can only be run (successfully) from within CLI.
I.e. there appears no Budgie menu entry and as soon as I shutdown my Terminal window the application stops.

Just wondering: does the announced implementation of snap support via the new Software Center enable to start and run snaps from within Budgie, and will it enable (or be optional to configure) e.g. that you can install snaps via Firefox web interface as GUI frontend?

With the latter I mean when you try to install a snap from a snap store whilst browsing with Firefox the browser does not yet know how to handle snap://[appname], will that point to and fire up the Software Center in the upcoming Solus 4?

Just curious (and enthusiastic) about these developments.

User avatar
subrms
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:49 pm

Re: Snap

Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:12 pm

Just curious to know.

Why Snapd and not Flatpak ?
Computer : ThinkPad T440
OS : DualBoot Windows 10 / Solus x86_64
DE : Budgie & Mate
Kernel: 4.14.15-48.current
CPU: Intel i5-4300U (4) @ 2.900GHz
Memory: 3704MiB

User avatar
Craig-toyoracer
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:29 am

Re: Snap

Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:29 pm

subrms wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:12 pm
Just curious to know.

Why Snapd and not Flatpak ?

We have both, Search 'flatpak' in the software center. :)

User avatar
subrms
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:49 pm

Re: Snap

Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:33 pm

Craig-toyoracer wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:29 pm
subrms wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:12 pm
Just curious to know.

Why Snapd and not Flatpak ?

We have both, Search 'flatpak' in the software center. :)
We can said that RPM/deb split could be replaced by Flatpak/Snap (Flatpak support by RedHat/Fedora and Snap by Canonical (Ubuntu*) )
So how about Solus ?

*We can also have Flatpak on Ubuntu.
Computer : ThinkPad T440
OS : DualBoot Windows 10 / Solus x86_64
DE : Budgie & Mate
Kernel: 4.14.15-48.current
CPU: Intel i5-4300U (4) @ 2.900GHz
Memory: 3704MiB

Michiel
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:44 pm
Location: near Apeldoorn, NL
Contact: Twitter

Re: Snap

Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:50 pm

Michiel wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:52 am
kyrios wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:52 pm
bvpainter wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:26 pm
Thanks for the information. So it is purely a command line application, with a limited number of applications in Solus.
At the moment, snaps can only be installed via the command line, but on the long term, it will be integrated to the software center.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/solus-li ... 7355.shtml
Hi,

I practiced with this and installed the nextcloud-client via CLI.
However it can only be run (successfully) from within CLI.
I.e. there appears no Budgie menu entry and as soon as I shutdown my Terminal window the application stops.

Just wondering: does the announced implementation of snap support via the new Software Center enable to start and run snaps from within Budgie, and will it enable (or be optional to configure) e.g. that you can install snaps via Firefox web interface as GUI frontend?

With the latter I mean when you try to install a snap from a snap store whilst browsing with Firefox the browser does not yet know how to handle snap://[appname], will that point to and fire up the Software Center in the upcoming Solus 4?

Just curious (and enthusiastic) about these developments.
Sorry guys, my question came first :D

(Flatpak versus Snap is another topic. plus AFAIK Solus has both, (you can install both flatpak and snapd in Solus Software Center), so ...no big deal or is it?)

Return to “Tutorials”