How to Block Someone from Viewing my Whatsapp Status
WhatsApp is the most popular communication platform and people of almost all age groups enjoy the benefits that the platform offers. The social platform has many interesting features that keep users interested and one of such features is the WhatsApp Status.
Using the WhatsApp Status feature, users can share recent pictures of themselves, their favourite quotes or personal opinions from time to time as well as funny videos, GIFs and other interesting media. These media files are usually available on their status for 24 hours before being automatically deleted. Within this time frame, friends and family or generally people who are saved as contacts can view their status, make comments or get these videos.
It functions similarly to stories on Facebook, Snapchat and Instagram and you can respond to status updates by swiping up. Once you start viewing a person’s status update, they will autoplay and go on to the next person’s update till the list is exhausted or when you stop and return.
However, having everyone on your contact list view your status updates may pose a privacy concern for most people as they do not relate on the same level with all of their contacts. So many people are looking for how to block someone from viewing your WhatsApp status. Luckily, WhatsApp also has privacy settings that attend to this need but there are other ways which you can restrict someone from viewing your status updates.
- Block them from your WhatsApp
Your contacts can only see your WhatsApp status when their contacts are saved on your phone. If you are looking for how to restrict someone from viewing your WhatsApp status, your best bet is to block them entirely if it means that much to you. To block a contact, simply select the contact and click on the three dots at the top right corner of your screen. A menu will be displayed, click on ‘More’ and select ‘Block’.
Once you have done this, the person can no longer view your WhatsApp status. However, by doing this, you restrict this person entirely from contacting you on the platform. They cannot text, call or view your status updates and they also cannot add you to any groups. Unless this person is absolutely a pain, we would advise that you go for more subtle methods of restriction.
- Use Status Privacy Settings
WhatsApp has made available privacy settings that can help you hide your status from selected people. The times when you want to share a status update and avoid one or two persons on your contact list, this feature comes in handy.
If you want to hide your WhatsApp status on your Android from a few contacts, then follow these steps:
- Open your WhatsApp and click on the dotted icon at the top right corner of your screen
- Select ‘Settings’ and click on ‘Account’
- Scroll through till you find the ‘Privacy’ icon and tap on it .
- Locate the ‘Status’ icon from there and select ‘My Contacts’
- Select ‘My Contacts except’ and search the person’s name you want to exclude
- Another option would be to select ‘Only share with’ and identify the person or group of persons you would like to share your WhatsApp status with.
- This would automatically restrict the selected persons from viewing or interacting with your WhatsApp status as it would not pop up on their feed.
If you are using an iOS enabled device, you can also follow the steps highlighted above with a little tweak.
All you need to do is:
- Open your WhatsApp on your iPhone or other iOS devices and tap on the ‘Privacy’ icon
- Select ‘My Contacts’ to have access to all your stored contacts on your device.
- Tap on ‘My contacts except’ and select the person or group of persons that will be unable to view your WhatsApp status updates on
- You can also select ‘Only share with’ to directly choose those who will be able to view your profile
- Unsave their Phone numbers
Another way to ensure that select people do not see your WhatsApp status is by unsaving their number. WhatsApp only allows your contacts to view your status, so this means that if their number is unsaved, they will not be able to view your status updates.
The downside to this is you may not be able to tell them apart since their number is not saved on your phone. However, it is a sure way of ensuring that your status is hidden from those who you do not want to share it with.
WhatsApp is one of the most inclusive platforms for communication and can be close-knit most times. If you are looking for how to block someone from seeing your WhatsApp status, these methods listed above are the most effective ways to do so.
By blocking them, you completely shut out all forms of communication from them and may not be what you are going for. The best method to consider is to adjust your status settings. This way you can still communicate with them but they have limited access to your posts. By unsaving their number, you ensure that they cannot view your status but can be hard when you unsave two or three contacts. Whatever your preferences are, these methods are available for you to employ.